Chapter III

A week into her life at a new school and Ray was so glad for the weekend. This week was shit. Her first two days at Euphoria High were good. People were friendly enough and her teachers seemed decent. It all went to hell on Wednesday when this guy Jason approached her.  He was popular and a jerk. She could tell that much despite only being at school for two days.

He came up to her and asked her if she wanted to go out. Ray politely declined cause she saw him bully a younger student on Tuesday and she did not date assholes. Plus she wasn't his type and she already had a boy on her mind.

Jason did not take well to that cause he got all up in her face and said, 'You think you're all that huh bitch? I'm gonna make your life a living hell' before pushing her really hard.

He was true to his word cause on Thursday and Friday, he and his friends threatened her and called her all sorts of names. They went as far as to spill food on her during lunch. She did nothing though. It's clear they were a bunch of assholes that were waiting for her to react or cry but she wouldn't give them the satisfaction.

She worked full time at the bakery over the weekends and she was looking forward to being in the comfort of the little bakery as opposed to having to deal with Jason at school.

Ash decided he'd head to Ray's bakery today. He lowkey missed seeing her and thought fuck it, why not? Maybe she might be into him too and they could go on a date or something. Even though every logical part of his brain told him no and that he should stay away.

Ash parked the car and started to walk towards the bakery. As he was approaching he could see that there were people inside.

'Damn it' he thought to himself. He was hoping it would just be Ray so he could talk to her properly. That was one of the reasons why he came 15 minutes before the bakery closed. As he got closer he noticed that it seemed like a bunch of school boys his age were inside.

Ash frowned. Were these her friends? Nah, even from the outside the conversation didn't seem friendly. He slipped his hand inside his pocket so he could grip his knife. Hey, better safe than sorry.

Ash walked in, the little bell signaling that a new customer had walked in. Ray glanced at the door and she was so relieved to see that it was him and she had tears in her eyes.

Ash could feel the blood rush to his face. He was so mad. Her pretty little face was scared and teary.

'Listen here bitch, I ordered a hot latte, this is a cappuccino. You're so fucking stupid' said Jason.

Ash was actually gonna lose it, who the fuck was this dickhead and how dare he talk to her like that?

Jason hadn't noticed that Ash was there.

'Yo, you think you're fucking cool dipshit?' yelled Ash.

Jason turned around and the blood drained from his face. He knew Ash. Everyone did. Ash was a fucking gangsta.

'Oh nah man, I didn't know you came here. This bitch messed up my order' said Jason.

'Whatchu say?' yelled Ash, 'You think disrespecting women is cool asshole?'.

'Nah nah, why don't you repeat that shit again. Go on, I dare you' threatened Ash as he stepped closer to Jason.

'Listen man, I didn't mean to..' trailed Jason

Ash didn't care, he punched Jason right in the face. And then punched him again.

'Don't ever talk shit about her again' Ash told him calmly before grabbing the boy by his hair and smacking his head against the counter.

If I find you breathing near her, I'll kill you' Ash whispered in Jason's now bloody ear.

'Do you want me to explain myself again?' Ash yelled at Jason's friends that were standing around. 'Get the fuck outta here'.

Ray just stared. She couldn't believe what happened. Jason and his friends figured out where she worked and came in here taunting her and being assholes and this guy she had a crush on for the past few weeks just beat Jason up really good.

Ash looked at his bloody hands. He sighed. He wished Ray didn't see that. She wouldn't want to be near him now. Clearly he was violent and bad news.

'Uhm are you ok?' Ash asked Ray gently.

'Yeah I am, thank you so much for getting rid of them. Are you ok? Your hand looks bloody. Here let me grab a cloth and some ice' said Ray as she went into the back.

She approached him and softly asked, 'May I?' as she looked at his hands.

Ash nodded.

She grabbed the towel and began wiping the blood off his hands. His palms felt soft but his fingers felt rough, like they spent a lot of time gripping something.

Ash observed her throughout. She wasn't scared of him. She surprisingly was relaxed.

'You don't have any bruising on your hands' Ray said. She thought that was impressive, given knuckles were always bruised after punching someone like that'.

'You can wash your hands, over there' Ray told Ash.

As Ash was washing his hands he looked up to Ray and said 'Uhmm by the way my name is Ashtray, but you can call me Ash.'

'Well it's about time you told me your name, mystery boy' said Ray. 'Well Ash, it's lovely to meet you, I'm Ray.'

'Yeah I know' replied Ash before he could stop himself.

'From your badge' he quickly added.

'Oh right' said Ray. 'Your usual?' asked Ray.

Ash nodded as he took a seat.

'What did those jerks want with you anyway?' asked Ash calmly.

Ray sighed, 'Well Jason, asked me out on Wednesday and I said no. He didn't take too well to it and he's been a dick'.

Ash was fuming. What a little shit he thought. 'Men and their fragile egos' said Ash.

Ray handed him his hot chocolate and cinnamon roll. Ash began to bite into the heavenly goodness.

'By the way, we close in like five minutes' said Ray.

'I know mama' said Ash as he smiled at her. 'I was wondering if you wanted a ride home?' he asked her. 'Just in case those assholes are waiting around the corner' Ash added.

Ash knew they weren't waiting. He'd sent Jason to the hospital for a broken nose and his friends were scared shitless. They knew about Ash. Ash's reputation precedes him. But Ray didn't need to know that Ash just wanted to spend more time with her.

Ray felt her heart beat so fast when Ash smiled at her. He had dimples and the most gorgeous smile she had ever seen. This boy never smiled, and he just smiled at her and wow he was even more handsome.

'Uhm yeah sure I'd like that, if you don't mind' Ray said as she smiled back.

Ash shook his head, 'I offered shawty, it's no biggie. Take your time'.

Ray literally wanted to squeal. But she kept her cool as she closed up with Ash's piercing gaze noting her every move.

A/N : SO WE ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE!! Let me know what you think :)