Chapter V

'Nothing lasts forever, but this is going to take me down'

Ray walked into her house and looked around. Her mom was passed out on the couch with an empty bottle of wine and half a bottle of vodka lying next to her. Ray sighed, she shouldn't even be surprised anymore. Long gone was the mom she knew. Ray grabbed the blanket off the other couch and laid it over her mom.

Ray was hoping her dad was asleep. She really did not want to deal with him today but unfortunately she noticed the light was still on in his room, meaning he was most likely awake. She reached into her bag and pulled out the envelope of cash. It was today's profit from the bakery. They made around $530 today. Well they actually made $580 but Ray took $50 from the collection. Her parents didn't pay her to work at the bakery but they didn't buy her books or any shit that she needed for school. So it only made sense to pay herself a salary and her parents would never know, they barely did any work at the bakery.

Ray knocked on her dad's door and entered. He looked stoned and drunk. Ray kept her mouth shut from making a comment at his state.

'Here dad' she said as she handed him the envelope of money. 'We made $530 today'.

Her dad just grunted and stood up to take the money from her. He counted it and she could see him becoming angry.

'Only $530?? That's so low' her dad yelled at her.

'We've only been open for a few weeks dad, plus it's just me working today. It's hard to take orders, make the drinks and pastries. Maybe if you and mom..'

Before she could finish a sentence, she felt a hand connect to her cheek and a sharp sting after. Her dad slapped her. Again. Great, what's new? At least it wasn't a punch.

'Shut the fuck and know your place. If you weren't so stupid, we'd make so much more money' her dad yelled at her.

'Yes sir' Ray said as she walked back to her home.

She could feel the hot tears flowing down her cheeks. She thought about how her dad was so stupid. One person couldn't manage all the tasks in the shop, yet Ray did. Her parents were so ungrateful and selfish.

As she got ready for bed, she thought about how her home life all went to shit when she was 10 and her mom had a miscarriage and they had some financial issues. Her mom and dad chose different ways to grieve and handle shit but they collectively chose to ignore their only child. She thought about how many times she had to cook her own food when she was 10 but there was no need to cry over spilt milk. Ray grew up being independent, nothing bad about that.

Ray turned her thoughts to a much more pleasing individual : Ashtray. How he defended her tonight and the way he held himself with confidence, something Ray only wished he had. She thought about how he held her hand and kissed her cheek. Just thinking about it made her blush again like a mad woman. What did it all mean? Did he have a crush on her too or were they just becoming friends?

Well Ray didn't really care. She thought it was better to take things slow, become friends first or whatever. It was good to get to know people slowly and over time. You never know who's a total psycho these days.

She contemplated texting him. Should she text him now? Or would that seem too eager? God Damn It, why didn't she give him her number instead, that way she wouldn't have to think 50 times about whether to text him first.

Oh fuck it, she thought to herself. She should just text him. Worst case scenario, he ghosted her but Ray highly doubted Ash would do that, given the way he was staring at her the whole night.

Ray : Hey, this is Ray. Thank you once again for today, I hope you got back home ok? Goodnight x

Ashtray was just getting into bed when his phone dinged. He couldn't help but smile and then he frowned. He never really smiled, smiling was so not gangsta. This girl was gonna drive him crazy, he could feel it.

Ash : Hey :)

Ash : What did I say about apologizing, sunshine? Sleep well, don't dream too much of me.

Ray : HAHAHAHA, I don't like to dream about nightmares

Ash : Then don't dream about yourself?

Ray : Boy BYE. I got to sleep now fr, got school at 8 am. 

Ray found herself smiling so wide. He just called her sunshine? She buried her head into her pillow and squealed. What a cute nickname.

Ash : Sleep well mama.

Ash : Do you need a ride tomorrow? Don't want anyone stirring up trouble for you

Ray : I usually take the bus but who am I to turn down a free ride? Thank you so much

Ash : You're such a comedian. Ok, pick you up at 7

Ray : See you x

Ray shut her phone and went to sleep thinking about how this tattooed gangsta boy might just be a big softie on the inside.

A/N: Just a quick update. Hope ya'll are liking the story so far?