[31] Say Something

Chapter 31, "Say Something"

"Justin, seriously, that's the third time in an half hour..." Kalissa exclaimed as Justin almost swerved into another car...again. "I think it's time for me to drive."

Justin snorted. "Yeah, and then we'll end up in the ditch..again!"

Kalissa turned to him, mouth agape. "That was one time!"

"One time...yeah" Justin agreed sarcastically, earning a slap from his wife. "Hey! No hitting the driver! I can arrest you for endangering passengers!"

The couple continued to bicker as we drove down the highway that led to California. We had been on the road for a few hours, but it felt like forever. Minnie sat in the trunk, leaning her head over the seat to see what was happening; Tony sat beside me, asleep, with his head slumped sideways; and Burrito sat in his lap, picking at the hem of Tony's jeans. I looked out the window, watching cars whiz by as my excitement grew stronger.

Finally, after these long three weeks, I'm going to be able to find Maya. 

And it's about time.

"Justin it's my car! I think I have the right to drive it!" Kalissa yelled, slamming her hand down on the inner console. She glared at her husband, but he merely shrugged.

"I think I deserve to not die!"

That earned another slap.

"Hey! What did I say about hitting?!"

"That you're too much of a baby to handle it"

"Did not!"

I began to worry about the healthiness of their relationship with this constant bickering, but my parents bickered all the time and they were completely fine. Also, Kalissa and Justin's bickering was completely hilarious. 

I turned my attention back to the window and zoned out the bickering. As the minutes passed by I felt my eyes start to droop. Before I knew it, my eyes had completely shut and I lost consciousness.

 "Mom!" I whined, stomping my foot on the hardwood floor of our kitchen. "It's the dress of my dreams! Please!" 

My mom looked up from her paper, taking her glasses of. "Amanda Jane Preston, you are fourteen not two, do not give me that kind of attitude." She told me sternly, staring me straight in the eye. I stared, or more so glared back. 

"I have the money, I'll buy it myself! I just need someone to bring me there, but hurry the mall closes in an hour!"

"Why do you want that dress so much anyways?" Mom asked, running a hand through her dark brown hair frustratedly. 

"Because nobody else has it! I tried it on the other day with Maya and I actually looked good wearing it!" I explained and watched as mom's face softened. It wasn't everyday I liked my looks and my mother knew that.

"How much is it?" she asked as she stood up and walked over to the sink. She emptied her coffee mug into the sink and rinsed it.

"Fifty dollars." I announced, as my dad walked into the room.

"What's fifty dollars?" He asked, scooping up a banana from our fruit bowl. He peeled it and took a bite, looking at me with blue eyes that apparently were identical to mine. 

"The dress you and mom are taking me to buy!" I told him excitedly. Mom sighed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I didn't say yes yet...and besides it's about to storm."