Long Enough

Chapter 84: Looked Like the Woman

Gus disappeared into the stack of boxes and files, trying to find some connection between the cases. Hawkes and Lindsay were busy sorting through the evidence, running much of it again and working up statistical geographic profiles.

She was getting beyond frustrated and starving when Flack called to let her know he had just finished questioning Kevin Carter's other wife with Mac.

"What do you mean other wife?" Gus said, fighting with her dollar and the vending machine, "stupid, piece of shit!"

"Having two wives, yeah, pretty much," Flack shot back, giving Gus another glimpse of hope that maybe he wasn't completely doomed.

"I was talking about the vending machine that won't take my stupid brand new dollar to give me a crappy sandwich so I can go back to the stack of boxes and conjure up some nonexistent connection in these cases. But I do agree that Kevin Carter is at the very least an idiot. Most men can't handle one wife let alone two."

"Why don't you take a break and we can grab a couple of dogs? I gotta wait on an elimination sample from wife number two and I have a feeling if I don't make myself scarce, Daddino is going to start grilling me."

Gus picked up on the desperation in his voice, causing her to immediately quit fighting with the machine. "While I should probably let him, considering you gave me a freaking heart attack the other night, I would much rather grab a hot link, I'll be right down."

They walked around the block, at first engrossed in their food, Gus getting as much mustard on herself as she consumed.

"Maybe we should sit before I have to end up giving you the Heimlich," Flack suggested as she attempted to wipe the offending condiment away.

Sitting on a bench, Gus wondered what to say, hating the silence and tension between them, unaware that Flack was thinking the same thing.

He wanted to reach out to her, to wipe the mustard from her cheek, fold her into him and have her tell him everything was going to be okay. Except he didn't, he kept his hands clasped between his legs, knowing that she would give him the peace he sought, but sure he did not deserve it.

"I still have mustard on my face, don't I?" Gus asked, catching Flack staring at her. He nodded, gesturing to her cheek, which she wiped at vigorously. "I didn't mean to make things rough with your neighbors, Don, I just...I was worried."

"Everyone really needs to stop worrying about me, I'm not the only person to ever shoot someone in the line of duty, ya know." Flack brushed her off.

"Look, I know everyone is on your back and you wish they would all just go the hell away, and eventually you are going to get your wish, Don, you are going to drive everyone out of your life. Except me, I'm not going anywhere, so get over it. I know you have to deal with things in your own time and in your own way, I just want you to be able to come back from the edge you are standing on."

"I'm not suicidal, if that's what you mean," Flack looked at her angrily.

Gus reached for his arm, not letting him brush her off. "That isn't what I am saying, I'm...look I know all about being broken, and as I said, we are partners and I will cover for you, but it is a lot easier for me to do that if I at least know you are alive. It isn't keeping tabs on you or checking up on you. Have I ever judged you?" She stopped talking, looking at him, waiting for an answer.

Flack knew she was stubborn enough to sit there all day. He also knew that she hadn't ever judged him, and she was the one person on this planet who did have his back, unconditionally. "No, you haven't, yet."