Kiss the Baby

Chapter 68: The Ballad of Cowboy Mouth

Gus made it home, shaking the entire walk. She knew she had been out of line with Elgers, but he had the misfortune to be in the wrong place when Gus reached her breaking point between Angell and Flack and Lindsay and Adam and everything else.

she laughed as she fixed a drink, Lindsay probably was right, she did need to get laid. But Adam? He was cute and sweet but she looked at him more like he was Reed than a potential bed mate. Despite her pregnancy hormones, Lindsay had meant what she said, Gus needed to get laid, not have a relationship.

Speaking of which, she hadn't given her friend a piece of her mind yet. She looked at the clock, calculating the time difference before dialing Lindsay's number.

"If you are calling about Danny, I already know about his suspension," Lindsay said after answering.

"His what?" Gus shouted.

"I take it you didn't know? He apparently made some Neo-Nazi well acquainted with the pavement when picking him up for questioning."

"Seems to be going around,"Gus mumbled, "he got suspended for that?" Gus had a sinking feeling that she would be taking some unplanned time off.

"Two weeks, no pay, not exactly what we need with a baby on the way, but you know Danny, can't stand a bully. At least I will be home in a week and we can spend some time together before the baby gets here," Lindsay sighed.

Gus made a noise. "Silver lining, I guess. Actually I was calling because I am pretty sure Adam tried to proposition me today on your suggestion and let's just say that combined with my lovely little chat with Angell the other day where she cornered me in the locker room resulted in a very bad no good evening for me. Hence why I am calling you from home when I am supposed to still be on shift."

"Propositioned you? I simply suggested to him that you might be a little lonely and thus a little, er, amorous so if he saw the chance he should carpe diem."

"But it is Adam, Lindsay!" Gus protested.

"What is wrong with Adam, he is sweet and caring and I have heard some of things he has said about some of the girls he has dated and they sound wild I was just thinking you deserved a little fun," Lindsay shot back.

Gus sighed heavily, "oh Linds, that is sweet, I think, but you know Adam, he can get like a puppy and I don't need anything following me around. I want to ruffle his hair and remind him to brush his teeth!"

"Fine, not Adam, I hope you let him down gently, though Gus, in case you ever change your mind. I still stand by you needing to get laid though. Who else you got?"

Gus tried to not growl at her friend, thankful when her other line buzzed in, Daddino calling, probably to give her more punishment. "Gotta go, Linds, I think I am about to have the same fate visited me as your husband."

"Suspension? What did you do to Adam?"

"Not Adam, the Neo-Nazi," Gus huffed.

Lindsay made a small squeak, "oh, I see. Well, maybe you can make sure Danny remembers to at least take a shower daily until I get back, and maybe occasionally eat something green."

"Look at you already in mom mode, talk to you later Lindsay, miss you," Gus clicked off, taking her lumps from Daddino. Two weeks with pay, better than Danny, but she was also required to go back to Dr. Lyons for anger management sessions. She would rather the no pay.

Gus had to reluctantly admit that a couple of sessions with Dr. Lyons did her some good. She had a chance to air out what happened between her and Angell and how she was struggling with her feelings and partnering with Flack. She also talked her desire to be with him but not wanting to ruin his happiness with Angell and Lyons pointed out that Gus seemed to be punishing herself still.