Tell The Girl

Chapter 30: Tell The Girl

The next night, Gus happily played hostess to Stella and Lindsay. At least until Lindsay kept pestering her about how she felt about the news that Flack had a girlfriend.

"Are you sure you are okay with it?" Lindsay asked for the third time as Gus refilled the salsa bowl.

"I am fine," Gus answered through clenched teeth, taking a long drink of her virgin daiquiri. Gus took an angry swipe at the cheese dip she had laid out on the coffee table for a girl's night in.

Lindsay and Stella exchanged a glance behind Gus.

"I saw that, you two, and I am fine, it's all good," Gus tried to convince her friends and herself.

"If you are fine with it, then are you going to follow suit?" Stella asked.

"Who says I haven't?" Gus ignored the fact that both women looked like they were trying not to laugh.

"As soon as someone worth a shit comes along, how about that?" Gus answered finally, "besides, I am still working through some stuff with Dr. Lyons, voluntarily now, but still."

"Is he single?" Lindsay quipped.

"Inappropriate," Gus snarled.

"Sorry, forget you were Dr. Ethical" Lindsay bit back, slightly wounded.

Stella gave them both a look of disdain, lingering longer on Lindsay. She should know better, Stella thought, it wasn't like Gus was actually fine with Flack moving on, or whatever it was the detective was doing.

"Sorry," Lindsay grumbled.

"Me too," Gus muttered.

Stella sighed, some times it really was like they were children. "Now what about this guy I heard Angell talking about that you are working with from the mayor's office is he 'worth a shit'?"

"If you like pretty boys," Gus grumbled and then launched a pillow at Lindsay when she broke into laughter. "I know what you are thinking, Lindsay Monroe and Don is not a pretty boy, cops can't be pretty boys."

Lindsay bit her lip, trying to not laugh anymore, taking a swallow of her drink and grimacing at the brain freeze.

"That's what you get!" Gus teased.

"Fine, new topic," Lindsay replied, "what is going on with you, Stella?"

"Nothing much," Stella answered, refusing to meet Gus' eye.

Gus was willing to bet Lindsay didn't know anything about the gifts Stella had been receiving lately.

"Humph," Lindsay sighed, leaning back on the couch, unsatisfied with the lack of gossip.

"What about you, Mon-taannnaaa" Gus teased, "you gotten the great sit down from Mac yet?"

"Nope, luckily he has been busy with other things and I like to think I have managed a completely professional demeanor at work," Lindsay crossed her arms over her chest.

"Yes, longing looks across lab rooms, breaks my heart," Gus drolled.

They all laughed for a moment until Stella turned serious, "how do you think Mac is doing, Gus?"

"I am worried about him," Gus admitted.

"Me too, I can't believe Peyton..." Stella, trailed off, casting a look over at Lindsay.

"Don't worry, he told me Peyton was staying in London earlier today, I am somewhat in the loop, ya know!" Lindsay sighed.

"How was he after I left Wednesday night?" Gus asked.