Chapter 21-Truths

Hey guys!! :) I would just like to take a moment to thank all of you who are still reading Gwen and Gabriel's story :) I really do appreciate it a lot and I think you've noticed that I've been dedicating the last few chapters to my fans who are amazing!! You guys are all truly wonderful and amazing writers!!! :D This is just another one of those moments that I am feeling greatly appreciative! I'd like to dedicate this chapter to Gabby because she is truly awesome! SO is her story Choose Me :)) She's really cool to talk to and you guys should definitely take a look at her work!! Well anyways...I'm sorry to bore you guys and not get to the story!

So without further ado... :D

Chapter 21-Truths

She took a step back as if what I had just said had physically pushed her.  Her eyes widened in confusion and also denial.  I saw the disbelief in her eyes as she began to shake her head back and forth, trying to make the words I said to disappear but she couldn’t.  She opened her mouth to say something but then closed it, deciding to keep quiet for the moment.  She sighed in frustration and finally said, “No.  This can’t be.  It…just…what?”

I took cautious steps towards her but she quickly turned the other way and stalked off.  She let the rose fall down onto the ground, no longer untouched by nature’s hand.  It started to wither and die before my eyes as my magic ebbed away from it; no longer holding it together.  The woods surrounding the lake had become eerily quiet as I watched Gwen pace back and forth between the lake and the trees. 

I didn’t know what else I could have done.  I know that her memories had been resurfacing from the day that she had fallen sick.  I was there when I heard her talk in her sleep at the hospital.  She said things like, “Gabby I’m going to get you” and “Thanks for being here for me.  I can’t believe Tyler had turned out to be such a jerk”, things that she couldn’t have known about because I took away her memories.  Her behavior had started when I gave her my Great Great grandmother’s necklace.  That’s when it clicked.  Gwen had seen the necklace before, years ago in the attic of my house.  We had been cleaning all my families’ memoirs and stumbled across the necklace.  That’s what had triggered her memories.

When I figured it out, I decided to bring Gwen to the lake where we first met.  I figured that this would be the easiest way to tell Gwen the truth about who I am.  I couldn’t even begin to tell her the reason I was here but I needed to tell her that magic was a part of me.  It was as much a part of me as breathing.  I wanted to show her the beauty of it all and that’s why I charmed the frozen plain to bloom a perfect incandescent rose.  It wasn’t possible for it to still be alive by nature’s law but it was a way to open her mind to the infinite possibilities that magic held.

Gwen had stopped pacing and sat down on the snowy ground.  She looked out at the lake, silent and still.  I approached and tried again to explain.  “Gwen?”  I said, placing my hand on her shoulder.

“It doesn’t make sense.”  She whispered.  “I don’t understand.”  I listened to her ramble.  It was all I could do for the moment.  She needed time for my words to sink in.  “Unless…unless you’re the one who erased my memory.  It’s the only thing that…”  She left the sentence drift off and said, “Did you?”

I sat down beside her and looked at the skepticism her eyes held.  It was time for her to know the truth.  I took a deep breath to brace myself for the impact that this might cause.  Holding her gaze I said, “Yes.”

She gulped.  There was a hint of fear in her eyes but mostly anger.  “Why would you do that?  Why would you come back to me after all these years and want me to forget you?  Why did you even leave in the first place?”  Her voice was accusing and rose to a tone of exasperation and bewilderment.  She began to play with snow and pound on it, letting all her frustration out on it.  I saw in her demeanor that she was angry at me.  I was beginning to feel that anger towards myself and I clenched my jaw, regretting that I had told her about me.