Chapter 15-Gwen

Chapter 15-Gwen

Gabriel said it was easy and it was.  As he showed me how to hold my stick underneath the fire and how long to wait for the marshmallow to cook, he leaned in closer to me.  I felt my heat rate increase rapidly.  I could smell the sweet scent of him from this proximity.  He smelled like fresh sunlight and fresh water from the ocean.  I could see the intensity that his eyes held and yet they were warm, shinning bright and utterly piercing to my soul.

"Hmm...this is pretty good."  I said with a mouthful of marshmellows.  I was suprised that he could even understand me.

He laughed.  "Yes, it is.  And I bet it taste even better once it's cool."  He teased me.

"Hey!  That was an accident."  I said in mock anger.  I stomped my foot on the ground for emphasise but he just continued to chuckle and shake his head in amusement.

I smiled and we sat there quietly, enjoying the warmth of the fire. A few silent minutes past until he nudged me with his elbow and whispered in my ear, "Do you want to go and take a walk?"

"Are we allowed?"  I asked looking at our chaperons who were sitting around their own fire across the camp ground.

"Where's your sense of adventure?"

I bit my lip and sighed, "Oh, alright."

We snuck off into the woods and walked a path that was only lighted from the light of the moon.  It was a little chilly out and I had forgotten to grab my winter coat from my bag.  I was just wearing a sweater but I hadn't realized how cold it was until we started walking.  The warmth from the fire had kept me nice and warm.  I leaned in closer to Gabriel, hopping that being near him would make me a bit warmer.  Unfortunately, it didn't work because he noticed right away.

"Your freezing.  Here take my coat."  He said, shrugging it off and laying it on top of my shoulders.

"No, I-I can't."  I stammered out.  "What ab-bout you? I can't let you be cold while-"  I stopped and noticed what he was wearing.  Under the coat hehad on a couple of moments ago, Gabriel was wearing a Washington University hoodie.  He looked really warm and who knows what else he had under the hoodie.  He was intelligent and layered up.  Yeah...smart move, I thought.

"Thanks."  I said pulling the coat on. Immediately, I fet the difference and warmth filled my body.  I could smell the scent on his jacket as it lingered on the material.  It smelled like...

"Its rather beautiful, isn't it?"

"What?"  I asked confused.

I looked at him and saw that he was staring up at the sky.  I looked up as well and saw what he meant.  The sky was an endless landscape, covered with little white dots.  There were so many stars up in the sky that it was unbelievable.  I've never seen so many stars in the sky and I as awed by its brilliancy.  The moon shone so bright, illuminating everything below.  You could never see something like this back home.  The lights from the city were to bright.  This...this was breathtaking and utterly beautiful.

"Yes.  It is."  I finally answered, breathless.

I kept on looking up at the sky for a few more minutes but then I started to get a crink in my neck.  I sighed and started to walk along the path and saw a fallen tree only a few paces ahead.  I sat down and then layed down on its timbers and gazed up at the beautiful night sky.  It was peaceful and I was filled with a sudden happiness that I couldn't describe.  I couldn't believe that I wanted to get out of this trip and if I had, then I would have missed this sight.  I was glad that Gabriel had convinced me to come after all.