Vol. 4: Chapter 9.3 - The Devil's Warning

It was the perfect weather for any student to relax by the Sun Deck's pool. The refreshing feel of the water in contrast to the searing rays of the sun-- such combination will make anyone embody the season that is summer.

While most of the first-year students of the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School immersed themselves in fun and relaxation, a group of exemplary students had other plans.

"Oh, it looks like my invitation didn't fall on deaf ears. Come, have a seat."

The one who spoke those words was none other than Class D's tyrannical leader, Ryuuen Kakeru. He smiled after seeing the arrival of four key students from his zodiac group: Kanzaki Ryuuji, Ichinose Honami, Horikita Suzune, and of course, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka.

"Why did you call us here, Ryuuen?" asked Kanzaki.

"You don't have to sound so stiff, Kanzaki. I just wanted to have a little chat," he replied with a smirk.

"Do you seriously think we'll believe your bluff, Ryuuen-kun?" followed Horikita.

Her eyebrows twitched as she said those words. After all, she felt like Ryuuen's confidence didn't stem from a stupid bluff. However, Horikita's internal uncertainty didn't show outside.

"Sure. If you want to have a chat, then I'm down. It seems like the group discussions aren't enough for you, huh?" said Ichinose.

"Heh. It seems like everyone's doubting me in terms of how much I currently control the situation, but that's okay. I haven't really started the show yet. That said, how about you, Ichinose? Does Class C even have a plan?"

"Who knows? Even if we do have a plan, you can't possibly expect me to say anything, right?"

"Sure, sure."

"Can you get on with it, Ryuuen? I don't really get why I'm even here, but I think you should get straight to the point." Ayanokouji Kiyotaka finally joined the conversation. It would make sense that Horikita was called, but he wasn't participating as much in this exam, so choosing to call him over Hirata or Kushida was indeed strange.

He eyed the corners of the pathway, sensing that other people were hiding their presence.

"Oh? Are you uncomfortable, Ayanokouji? Don't worry about those guys. Those are just Ibuki, Ishizaki, and my other classmates. Cameras are scattered around the ship, so we'd be in trouble if I let them in on the discussion, right?"

Since talking with students who aren't part of your class and your assigned group for an extended period of time is forbidden, Ryuuen stationed his classmates away from their meeting place. It was also the reason why Ayanokouji and Hashimoto talked in a very inconspicuous place with no cameras.

"What's with those looks? I'd rather have us meet up in a place filled with cameras but with seats than somewhere unmonitored but we have to stand like idiots. Can't you see how considerate I'm being?" Ryuuen spread his arms as he leaned back in his chair.

"Fine. Let's get this over with, shall we?" said Horikita. "What do you want to tell us, Ryuuen-kun?"

"Ohh! Finally feel like listening, Suzune?"

"We wouldn't have come here if that wasn't our intention."

"Alright then. To be honest, this is just me doing some charity work." Ryuuen relaxed as he narrowed his eyes. "I'd rather see your shocked reactions when everything gets in place tomorrow, but I guess there's no way around it."

"What are you getting at, Ryuuen?" asked Kanzaki.

Horikita and Ichinose's expressions turned serious. They felt like something catastrophic dwelled behind Ryuuen's words.