Vol. 2: Chapter 3.1 - The Closest

"So you're saying that a guy named Katsuragi and a girl named Sakayanagi are leading Class A?"

"Mhm, but according to my friend, there seems to be some kind of rift between the two of them, to the point where one side is called the "Katsuragi Faction" while the other is called the "Sakayanagi Faction"."

So the chairman's daughter is the leader of Class A, or at least one of them, huh? Well, I guess that's not too surprising.

"I see... And a guy named Ryuuen is ruling Class D with an iron fist of some sort?"

"Yep~!"

"Ah, I see..." I pondered. "Hey, that tickles, Kushida."

Kushida and I were currently leaning on each other's backs. I was sitting on the edge of the bed while she sat in the middle. She was amusing herself by stepping both of her feet on the wall, using my back as her support to carry herself off the ground. Kushida's weird movements resulted in her hair hitting and brushing against my nape, which tickles.

"Sigh... It was quite hard to get that information, you know? I had to manipulate the conversation without being too suspicious about it," she pouted.

"Knowing you, I'm sure you pulled it off without a hitch," I said.

"The girls in Class D lacked vigilance, so they were pretty easy. In Class A, however... I felt like my words and movements were under watch for some reason."

Kushida's network is really powerful. I can practically access any social information without putting myself on the frontline.

"Why do you want to know about the so-called 'leaders' of Class A and D now? Are you so bored that you want to go on the offensive yourself?" she asked.

"No, it's just that I don't know anything about them at all. If I move carelessly, I might get in trouble," I explained.

"Hmm... Really? I think if it's you, you'd win no matter who you're up against."

Kushida's voice was deeper than usual, but she didn't sound hostile. Judging by her tone, I can tell that she truly meant those words.

"You overestimate me, Kushida."

"Stop humble-bragging, idiot."

After a brief moment of silence, Kushida spoke once again.

"Are you sure about being on friendly terms with Class C? Ichinose-san is an excellent student, and her class is a monolith at this point. I don't think they'll overtake us that easily since our class average on the midterm exam was very high, but they're still just a mere 121 class points away from us," she said.

I nodded in agreement.

The best immediate course of action for Class B is to widen the gap against Class C. The four of us have talked about this before-- about widening the gap through the Special Exams. Of course, we don't know when that will happen or what will happen, for that matter.

"I think it's fine. The two of us are pretty close with Ichinose-san and her class. Continuing a non-hostile relationship with them shouldn't have any immediate consequences. And it's not like we're keeping our guards down."

"I guess that makes sense. Having an ally is better anyway," Kushida said with a sigh.

Stretch.

Fold.

Stretch.

Fold.

I hunch forward whenever she stretches her legs and then lean back right after. Even if I wasn't looking behind me, our joint movements give away what action Kushida was doing.