Vol. 1: Chapter 7.3 - One Aspect of Excellence

At first, Sensei only used two stopwatches on each hand for the top placers, but now, he assigned helpers to record all of our times with precision.

"Alright, I'm assigning seven of you to assist me in recording your classmates' performance. At the same time, I'll assign seven supervisors to confirm your timings. You can use the stopwatch function on your phone. I'll give one piece of advice for the time setters." Sensei grinned. "Don't think about anything else. Focus solely on the swimmer you're assigned to."

From the other side of the pool, I can see that Matsushita was assigned for me, with Miyamoto behind her. Meanwhile, Horikita was assigned for Koenji, who was standing beside me. Okitani was the one supervising her.

The assignment of the lanes went like this:

Lane 1: Hirata - Kikuchi, Kushida

Lane 2: Miyake - Yukimura, Yamauchi

Lane 3: Ike - Karuizawa, Satou

Lane 4: Makida - Higashiyama-sensei

Lane 5: Minami - Maezono, Shinohara

Lane 6: Sudou - Onizuka, Ueno

Lane 7: Ayanokouji - Matsushita, Miyamoto

Lane 8: Kouenji - Horikita, Okitani

"Let's have a fun swimming time, Ayanokouji-boy," Kouenji said without looking at me. 

He must be confident then. Like me, Kouenji doesn't look like he's interested in competing seriously. But of course, he wouldn't just let himself fall behind. Alright, let's see what you got.

"I won't lose this time, Ayanokouji," Sudou said, focusing his sight on the finish line.

"Yeah. Good luck to us," I replied.

"Ready!" I focused my attention entirely on the whistle's timing. When the sound reached my ears, my whole body felt a small jolt of lightning. Finally, the cogs in my body started working with each other.

It's time to let loose.

Splash.

My diving figure perfectly nailed itself into the water. When I started using my limbs for propulsion, I can faintly feel Kouenji and Sudou's presence beside me. At the same time, the sound of my classmates' cheers entered my ears. Well, I don't have the luxury to care about any of those right now.

I swam with absolute consistency and finished the race. When my body rose from the water, so did Kouenji's. I don't know who won between the two of us.

"22.17 seconds," said Horikita, with Okitani nodding his head in agreement.

"Hmph," Kouenji once again swept his hair up in an elegant manner. What a monstrous amount of stamina. He didn't look tired at all. This time, he looked at me with a smile. "Impressive, Ayanokouji-boy. I can only applaud."

At that time, I was also gently swiping my hair. When I turned, Matsushita was frozen while looking at her phone. Miyamoto was the same.

"A-Ayanokouji-kun... Your time was... 21.91 seconds..." Matushita stutteringly conveyed to me. "I didn't miss the timing, right, Miyamoto-kun?"

"Y-Yeah... Your timing was perfect, in my opinion..." replied Miyamoto.

While all of those were happening, not only the girls, but the boys also cheered loudly.

"That was insane!"

"Those three were basically zooming in the water!"

"What is this?! The Olympics?!"