26. Lock Opens Up

*3rd person p.o.v*

"Is it really that obvious?" Lock asked, pulling Y/N closer to him.

"What?"

"My death. Is it obvious that I froze?" Lock repeated.

They had been quietly sitting together, Y/N cuddling very close despite how cold he was. In the silence, Lock had been growing insecure, as his mind began to think of the worst possibilities.

Is it that obvious that I froze? Does Y/N not like how I look? That's why Y/N likes Mason so much, his death isn't so obviously painted on his features. I'm colder than the others because of my death...Will I make Y/N too cold? I'm gonna hurt Y/N, aren't I?

"No, it's not obvious," Y/N reassured the insecure boy. "The only reason I knew was because your lips are blue. And I hadn't even noticed that until I was trying too."

"Okay..." Lock said. He then smiled mischievously at Y/N. She wasn't sure what to expect. Every time he smiled like that, there was always a different outcome. "You were looking at my lips, princess?"

Y/N's cheeks heated up in embarrassment. "Lock, not like that!"

"It could be like that," he teased. His insecurities seemed to have vanished. "If you wanted."

A cheeky smile formed on Y/N's face. "I think you want that a lot, don't you." Lock's cheeks went red. "Don't think I don't notice how much you stare at my lips on a daily basis."

"You..." Lock looked away. "You notice that?"

"You're not as sneaky as you think you are." Y/N smiled.

"Whatever," Lock sighed. They both were quiet, once again. Until Lock spoke up. "That's why I chose the devil costume."

"Huh?"

"My death," he said. What he was about to share with Y/N was something he had never shared with anyone before. Not Shock, not Barrel, not even Oogie. But, he trusted Y/N and he knew he was making a good decision. "My whole look, if you haven't noticed, is based around the color red. My hair, my clothes, the devil costume I always wore when I was little. The color red reminded me of warmth...of fire. And when I was..."

Lock choked on his words and placed the back of his hand over his mouth, trying to hold back oncoming tears. Y/N squeezed his free hand, rubbing her thumb over the back of it.

"You don't have to tell me, Lock," she assured him. "If it's too hard-"

"No...I-I want to tell you," Lock said as he took a shaky breath. "When I was...freezing to death under that pile of snow, all I could think about was how I wished it was warmer. So, when I arrived in Halloween Town, I did everything I could to make sure I...looked warm. Hence the hair, clothes, and devil costume. I think...it's also why I can do this."

Lock lit a flame in his hand and Y/N watched it take different shapes and forms. He truly was gifted with fire. Lock closed his hand without removing the flame. Lock let his eyes flutter shut and he sighed happily as the fire warmed up his freezing palm. Little bits of lit shined through his knuckles and Y/N watched as Lock smiled, showing off his sharp teeth. He opened his eyes and let the flame simmer away, gazing up at Y/N.

"It's just a guess," he stated. "But, it makes sense. Why else would I be able to do that?"

"...Do the others know?" Y/N asked. "About how you died?"

"Yeah..." he answered. "We all told each other in middle school. It's why we're so close now. When you're Dad tried to take over Christmas and we...tried to feed Sandy Claws to Oogie Boogie." he looked at Y/N sheepishly. "Sorry about that, by the way."