24. Cuddling and Crime

(The cosplay above is by beku.cos on Instagram. Please check them out!)

As we walked out of the library, we were met with a dark sky. I was a bit surprised, it didn't seem like it had been a full day already. But, I guess we had done quite a bit. I looked over at Shock as she handed me the book we got. 

"I don't understand why we couldn't just check it out," I stated with a sigh. She chuckled and placed a hand on my shoulder. 

"We wouldn't have been able to turn it in again," She said. "It was easier this way."

We walked out into the parking lot and I noticed a woman looking at us. We made eye contact and I looked away quickly. Mason seemed to sense how tense I was getting, so he held my hand and smiled at me. 

"Are y-you alright, Y/N?" He asked. 

I let my voice fall to a whisper. "That woman is staring at us," Mason looked and a frown made its way onto his face. 

Barrel pushed Mason away from me. "Get off her!"

"Barrel, stop," I whispered. "We're going to attract attention."

Barrel put his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. I gasped a bit and looked back over at the woman. Her face held one of worry and concern. I smiled at her, trying to get rid of whatever she thought was happening. 

"Barrel, you're being dramatic," I said. 

"Dramatic?" He repeated. "Yeah, whatever"

"Miss?" A voice asked. I looked and saw the woman walking over to us. I stopped walking and the others did, as well. 

"Yes?" I asked nervously. She looked at Lock, Shock, Barrel, and Mason. 

"Can I talk to you?" She asked. "Privately?"

"No-" Lock tried to say. 

"It's fine," I reassured him. I nodded at the woman and we walked away from my group. Not that far, but enough to where they couldn't hear us.

"Are you okay?" She asked. 

"What do you mean?" I questioned. She looked over at my group and then back at me. 

"They aren't bothering you, right?" She said. "I'm sorry if this is out of place for me to ask, but I was just a little concerned. It's so late and there are some sick people in the world. I just want to make sure everything's all right."

"Oh," I said. "Don't worry, I'm fine. They're my friends and we lost track of time in the library."

"Okay," She said with a smile. "Sorry for bothering you. Have a good rest of your night."

I smiled and waved goodbye to her. I walked back over to our group. Mason looked concerned. While Lock, Shock, and Barrel were annoyed. 

"She just wanted to make sure everything was okay," I informed. "She thought you guys kidnapped me or something."

"Kidnapped y-you?" Mason repeated in shock. 

"Don't worry, Mason," I said softly. "It's all right."

"Do you think we should find a place to settle in for the night?" I asked. 

"Where w-would we go?" Mason questioned. 

"I'm not sure," I answered. "It probably won't be very safe, but we could camp out in the woods. And since it's still cold, Lock, do you think you could make another fire?"

"Anything for you, princess," He said as he sent a wink my way. I felt my cheeks heat up, but I ignored him. 

"Alright, let's go," Shock said. We began walking out of the library parking lot and towards the woods.