22. Missing Persons Case

(The photo above belongs to @q.ueen_y on Instagram! Please, go check them out)

We didn't speak for a while. None of us. We just walked, I wasn't sure for how long. But, my legs were sore, so I figured it had been a long time. I think we were all just confused or lost, maybe. We weren't sure what our next step should be. 

We passed many houses and got some looks from people walking by. I wasn't sure why because we were dressed 'normally' now. Could it have been Lock, Barrel, and Mason's bright hair colors? I don't see why that would attract attention, a lot of people in Halloween Town have unnatural hair colors. But, maybe here it's weird. Not the good kind of weird. 

"Wait!" Mason shouted. We were all startled, it had been so quiet and the sudden sound of his voice caused us a slight panic. 

"What? What is it?" I asked. 

"Your Mom w-would have the s-same last name as y-you, right?" Mason asked. 

"Not anymore" Shock denied. "Her last name is Skellington"

"I-I'm getting to th-that" Mason sassily replied, causing me to giggle. "You sh-showed up in H-Halloween town when y-you were two"

"Yeah"

"S-so, here you w-would be s-seen as an m-missing person. B-because you left wh-when you were t-two" The others seemed to catch on. 

"So, if we look up her name it should bring up a missing person case!" Barrel finished. "Which will tell us what her last name used to be"

"And, it should t-tell us wh-who her p-parents were!" Mason beamed. 

"Mason!" I exclaimed as I hugged him tightly. "You're a genius!"

"R-really?" He asked. He wasn't used to many compliments, which made me upset because he truly was remarkable. 

"Of course! I would've never thought of that!" I broke the hug when I realized the glares the others were giving Mason. "But, how are we going to find my missing person case?"

"The library" Shock answered. I looked over at her. 

"Really?" I asked in confusion. "Do they put missing person cases in books?" She chuckled and shook her head. 

"No, but they're on computers" She answered. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. 

"Computer?" I repeated. 

"Just come on" She grabbed my hand and began to lead the way. "It'll be easier for you to see it, than having to explain it"

"I've never heard of a computer" I stated. "Do they have them in Halloweentown?"

"No, only in the human world" Barrel answered. 

"Hm..." I nodded. "How...peculiar"

"Wh-what is?" Mason asked. 

"How little I know about this world" I answered. "It seems foreign to me, which is weird, considering I was supposed to live here. I expected that I would know everything I needed to know. But, I don't. I haven't the faintest idea. And, it's not a nice feeling. Y'know, being in the dark. Metaphorically, speaking"

"Well, you're learning about it now," Lock said. "And who better to learn about the human world with, than us?"

"Yeah, sure" I playfully remarked. "My Mom gets me books when she goes to the human world. I think she gets them from the library!"

"You like to read?" Shock asked. 

"Yeah! I've read just about every book in the library that's in Halloween Town" I answered.