9. Oogie Boogie

"Come on, Mason!" I said as I dashed through the town. He was a bit slower and was falling behind.

"W-wait up! Y-you know m-my legs a-aren't th-that long" Mason shouted jokingly. I stopped running and he caught up to me completely out of breath.

"Come on, Gotta Go Fast!" I said.

"A-are you s-seriously quoting 'S-sonic th-the hedgehog'?" He asked and I nodded with a laugh.

"We're almost there!" I exclaimed. I grabbed his hand and pulled him to the graveyard.

"Zero! Come here, boy!" I called. I giggled when I heard the familiar bark of our family ghost dog.

"H-hey, Z-zero!" Mason beamed. We both pet Zero and then walked up onto the hill.

"Go fetch, Zero" I said as I threw a random bone that I had found on the ground.

He ran after the bone which had landed somewhere in the woods. I let out a sigh as I took in the beautiful graveyard.

"It's nice, isn't it?" I asked.

"Th-the graveyard? Y-yes! Very" Mason answered, nodding in agreement.

"No, I mean. It's nice not having to worry" I corrected.

"H-how do y-you mean?" Mason asked in confusion.

"I just..." I trailed off. "Ever since we started school, we've had to worry about those three troublemakers. And we're constantly worried at school and the last few times I've seen you, its just been me worrying about your well being"

"So....i-it's nice t-to be s-stress f-free?"

"Yeah...don't you agree?" I asked as I turned to face the timid boy.

"Wh-who wouldn't agree?" He asked with a smile. I lied my head on his shoulder and let out a satisfied sigh.

"Can you promise me something?" I asked.

"O-of course, wh-what is it?" He asked, I looked up at him and noticed his cheeks were glowing red.

"Promise me that no matter what, we'll always stick together. I'll always have your back and you'll always have mine?"

"I-I made that p-promise to m-myself wh-when I first m-met you" Mason informed. Now it was my turn to blush.

We both looked out at the graveyard and a calm silence fell over us. That is until Zero came back with the stick.

"Good boy!" I praised as I scratched behind his ghostly pale ears.

"Hey...wh-what's that?" I turned towards Mason in concern.

"What?" I questioned.

"THAT!" He shouted in alarm as he pointed at a gravestone. Someone was behind it, they were spying on us! Their hair was green and when I saw their face my eyes widened in horror.

"Oogie Boogie" I whispered in horror. Just like that he had disappeared. "Mason, we have to go. Come on, Zero"

I grabbed Masons hand and we ran back towards town, Zero following close behind.

His ghostly whines echoed through the graveyard, proving his fear. It was rare for Zero to be afraid, but if anyone could scare the light off his nose, its Oogie Boogie.

We dashed into town, panting with sweat lining our foreheads. We stopped running and tried to regain our regular breathing patterns.

"Y/N! Mason!" I turned towards the familiar voice.

"DAD!" Mason called. He entertwined his hand with mine and pulled us toward the Mayor.

"Wh-what happened?" The Mayor asked.