15. Sleepover

"Hey, do y-you want to stay o-over at my house t-tonight?" Mason asked out of nowhere.

"I don't know...you know how overprotective my Dad is. I don't think he'd let me stay over at a boy's house" I explained.

"He's let y-you before," Mason said in confusion.

"Yeah, but we were eight" I explained.

"I-I'm sure h-he would let you. I mean, he knows m-me" Mason stated. 

"Is your Dad gonna be there?" I asked. Dad would probably be more comfortable with it if the mayor was there.

"M-maybe a bit later, but h-he will be th-there eventually" Mason answered. 

"Okay, I'll ask. I should be able to" I stood up ready to head home, but then turned back to Mason. "Maybe you should come as well. They're more likely to say 'yes' if you're there"

Mason smiled and followed after me. I opened the door to my house and saw Dad in the kitchen and Mom in the living room. Dad was cleaning up the decorations from the party Mom threw for me, while Mom was filling up Zero's bowl.

"Hey, sweetie" Mom said with a warm smile. 

"Hey, Mom," I said. "So, I was wondering if I could stay the night at Mason's tonight?"

"Sure-" Mom began.

"Um- he's a boy, darling" Dad reminded Mom.

"Yes, I know. We've known him his whole life" Mom stated with a giggle. She stood up and brushed off her dress.

"So, you're just gonna let her stay at a boy's house? At night?" Dad asked, clearly not happy at the idea. 

"You know Mason. And you know your daughter" Mom reminded him, placing her hands on her hips. 

"Will the mayor be there?" Dad asked. I didn't want to lie...

"Well, Mason said he would be working, but he would be home later in the night," I told him, honestly.

"I'm sorry, the answer is 'no', pumpkin," Dad said as he turned back into the kitchen. 

"What if he stayed over here? Then, you could keep an eye on me" I suggested. Dad looked from me to Mason, and then to Mom.

"I think that's a wonderful idea," Mom said, then turned to Dad.

"Oh, fine" Dad reluctantly agreed. "I'll tell your father you're staying here"

"You should probably go home and pack a bag," I said. "I'll come with you"

I followed Mason outside and we walked the short way to his house. We walked in and he grabbed a bag, then quickly packed a few things. He seemed stressed and I was concerned. I placed a hand on his shoulder, causing him to jump. 

"Mason...are you okay?" I asked. He nodded and continued with packing. "Is this about your Dad?"

"M...maybe" He shrugged. 

"I know he's been really busy lately, but so had my Dad. It's only because Halloween is two days from now. He still loves you more than anything in this world. This Halloween, why don't we go trick-or-treating together? I know you didn't go last year, which wasn't like you at all" I sent him a warm smile, trying to lift his spirits.

"I'd like that" He agreed.

"Alright, we better hurry back before my Dad starts to freak out, and not in a good way" I joked. He grabbed his bag and we headed towards my house. On the way, I noticed Lock, Shock, and Barrel hidden in the dark. 

Their bright-colored clothes gave away their hidden state. I stuck my tongue out at them stubbornly and continued on my way home. They're stalkers.

***

That night we talked about things. Nothing important just random things that friends would talk about. It was nice to calm down from the chaos my life had become in the past few days. Thankfully, Mason seemed to be less stressed and anxious. It made me happy to see him smiling.

Neither of us wanted the other one to be stuck sleeping on the floor so Mason slept on the bottom of the bed, while I slept at the top. We fell asleep around midnight after Dad told us to quiet down a thousand times.

Finally, some peace for once...

(Hope you all enjoyed it! As always have a good day/night! TOODLES!!!)