| Attraction |

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Shehzad

I was in the middle of researching a new case, when there was a knock on the door. "Come in."

I was surprised to see Sobia entered, but my surprise turned to alarm when I saw that she was crying. "What's going on?"

"T-T-They." She started sobbing hard.

"Sobia." I got up, walked around the desk and wrapped my arms around her in a comforting hug. "What's wrong? Is everything okay? Your family okay?" 

She shook her head.

"Have a seat." I gently led her to my own chair and sat her down, before handing her a new bottle of mineral water from the mini-fridge installed a few feet away from my desk.

With trembling hands, she drank the water before setting the bottle down on the desk. I handed her a clean tissue from the box on my desk and she patted it on her wet cheeks before looking up at me. "You have everything in handy, don't you, Shez?" 

"Everything except the ability to read minds." I gave her a small smile as I sat on my desk, facing her. "So tell me, what's wrong?" 

"They refused to change the contract." She muttered. "They said that I either agree to their terms, or they will rescind the offer." 

"B*****ds." The word automatically slipped out of my mouth, before I took a deep breath. "Astaghfirullah, Bee! You had me worried sick."

"I know it may not seem like a huge deal to you, but to me..." 

"I know it's a huge deal to you." I interrupted. "But listen, Bee, sometimes life doesn't go according to our plans, and that's okay. You are so talented, Ma Sha Allah, that I just know that you will find a job at a place truly worthy of you." 

"You won't understand, Shez..."

"Okay, I might not understand exactly what you feel, from your point of view, but I have experienced disappointment, okay?" I told her. "I know how it feels, and I empathise with you. But, often you have to face disappointment in order to achieve something that you can truly cherish and value." 

"When did you feel disappointed?" She asked, curiously.

"I didn't get into my first choice of university. I was put on standby, and never got off the list. But that's okay. I knew that Law is a competitive subject, and that it was bound to happen. So I went for my second choice, and I'm more than happy that I did. I had some of the best experience of my life there, and I met great people, amazing mentors in the form of lecturers and teachers." 

She looked thoughtful. "A part of me wants to sign the contract anyway, but another part of me- a larger part- refuses to give up the rights to something that I would spend hours writing." She sighed. "Sorry. That's one of my flaws. I cry when I'm disappointed." 

"That's not a flaw. It's your way of expressing a human emotion, and that's okay, Bee. It doesn't make you any less strong."

"How did you deal with your disappointment?"

"I was so upset that I almost decided to give up studying completely and work a random job that didn't even require a degree. But Sarib Bhai..." I glanced out of the window. "He said that I'd regret it forever. It's better to keep facing disappointments than to give up without giving it your best. You won't regret the failure, but you will definitely regret not trying hard enough."