| The Beginning |

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Bia

I didn't get the promotion or the small office that I'd wanted. The reason?

"Your article wasn't 'smexy' enough!" Ellen, the editor's nasal voice still rang in my head. 

"What's smexy?" I'd been confused.

"Involving smut and sexiness.

"It's a non-fiction article about South Asian weddings! Why would there be smexiness in there?" 

Ellen had stared up at me over her gold-framed glasses. "And this is why you are not getting that office, Sobia. You don't understand what people want to read. You write public interest articles, so you should be aware of the public interests!"

It had been a devastating blow for me, and I had been so upset about it that I'd quit. 

Yes, I sound like an entitled brat for just leaving a job without any worries or concerns, but I was not going to lower my writing standards just because my editor wanted to. I knew that people loved all kinds of public interests stories, especially regarding other cultures, and smut was not mandatory at all. But clearly, Ellen was really into her Fifty Shades stuff.

Meanwhile, at home, my Nano had already planted the idea of my marriage with Shehzad into my parents' mind, and with my consent, they had started to do the research. I hadn't thought that it would go anywhere. Shehzad was just one person that I'd randomly met in the US, and we'd gotten along. But the holiday was over, and we'd both returned home.

 But...

Papa's connections in Lahore had apparently praised Shehzad greatly. He was also specialised in Media Law, and had helped Papa's friend win a major defamation case where the media had falsely accused them of something. It was soon established that Shehzad was a fabulous lawyer, and had a higher percentage of triumphs than losses.

One afternoon, I'd been sitting in my room, searching for jobs on my laptop, when my mother had come into my room.

"Bia, are you happy for us to go ahead with the discussions with Shehzad?" She had asked me, sitting down on my bed and immediately straightening the throw pillows lined up against my headboard.

"It's not like I'm getting anywhere else in life." I'd replied miserably while keeping my gaze on the laptop screen.

"That's not a reason to get married, Sobia." Her tone had been full of disapproval. "And you're young, you're at the beginning of your career. Babe, people don't find success instantly. There are struggles and hardships that we have to go through before." 

"And what if I never find success?" 

"Well, if you give up, you certainly won't. But generally speaking, the more you work hard for something, the more likely you are to achieve it." She'd ran a hand over my head. "In the meantime, I will tell your Papa that you're not ready yet, if that's what you want." 

I'd shaken my head. "No, Mama. It's fine. You can go ahead with it. Shehzad seems like a nice person, very likable. If you and Papa give your approval, I have no issues."

"Looks like someone has managed to impress our Bia?" A teasing glint had appeared in her eyes.

My cheeks had turned pink and I'd lowered my gaze towards my hands. "He's easy to talk to, funny and kind." 

And so, the approval from me had started the chain of events that had led to my marriage with Shehzad Arshad.

****