Prologue

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

"And We created you in pairs," Quran (78:8)

*

Lahore, Pakistan

Shehzad Arshad

"F**k you." The man growled at me.

I smirked. "Thank you. I hope you enjoy your stay at the Lahore Central Jail for...well, for the rest of your life. Allah Hafiz." Without a further word, I turned and walked out of the courtroom. 

I was an a*****e, I knew it, but only when it came to people who deserved it. Like criminals, or others who broke the law. I came in, got my work done, and got out without any unnecessary conversation or drama. As a successful lawyer, although I could afford a lot, I couldn't afford to waste time. I valued it and I have been taught this from the age when other kids were listening to nursery rhymes.

Tossing my laptop bag and blazer into the backseat of my car, I slid into the driving seat and slammed the door shut. Pulling on my sunglasses, I drove out of the car parking speedily.

I have specialised in Media Law and Criminal Law, the former on an international level, and I loved my job with a passion. I developed the law for this profession from my now-deceased father, who started off as a lawyer, and ended up a well-reputed judge in a High Court. 

The tinted windows off my car and the high blast of the air-conditioning protected me from the harsh heat of the sun outside. However, there was nothing that I could do to avoid the traffic as the road had been blocked by the police in order to allow some bloody National Assembly member to pass through with his or her motorcade that had like forty cars or something.

"Good for nothing pr**ks. Eating up or money, doing absolutely nothing, and using forty cars to protect themselves, while a great deal of the population is drowning in poverty." I muttered, shaking my head. 

My phone started ringing and I glanced down at the display screen on my car, as my phone had been connected through it via cable. 

Khalid Mamu.

*Mamu: mother's brother.

I pressed the 'answer' button on the screen. "Assalam Alaikum, Mamu. How are you?" 

Mama had passed away a few years ago, but her brother always called up to check up on me. He'd often insisted that I joined him in the US, but I was happy where I was. Even after Dad's death two years ago, I wanted to remain in Pakistan. 

"Walaikum Assalam, Shehzad beta! How are you?" 

*Beta: son- also can be used in a unisex manner to address someone like a child to you.

"Alhumdulillah, I can't complain." I shrugged even though he couldn't see me. "You tell me. How are Ayat's wedding preparations going?" 

"Alhumdulillah! They are going very well." He replied. "However, Ayat is the one who told me to call you again and ask you to come to the wedding." 

"Mamu, I wish I could, but I really..." I began to reply.

"Aajao, beta. Aapke aane se mujhe apni behan ki kami itni mehsoos nahin hogi." Mamu's voice almost broke as he said those words.