31

Wasting no time, I ran with vampire speed out of the door. I kept to the woods so I wouldn't be caught up in town, and I arrived at the Lockwood manor in a few minutes. Shaking out my hair in a very Katherine way - just in case anyone was watching - I made a show of pretending to turn into Elena.

Acting like myself again, I walked up the steps of the manor and knocked on the door, hugging my arms to my stomach. It opened, and the witch from yesterday looked at me.

"Elena Gilbert." She opened the door wider. "Come in." I stepped past her into the house.

She led me wordlessly through the manor, staying on the ground floor. I could hear two tiny fluttering heartbeats upstairs, and it took everything I had not to try and run to my babies. I paused, torn. The witch didn't stop, leaving me at the bottom of the huge staircase. Biting my lip, I looked up the stairs.

"Hello Elena." Esther said. She was standing in the doorway of a room, and she walked towards me. "I assume you're here to take my offer."
"You can turn me into a hybrid." I nodded. "But I only want two things in return."
"Your children? I said I would give them back." Esther folded her arms.

"Yes, and I also want you to leave my head alone. If you want to control me, just tell me in advance. And don't ruin my life." I glared. "You can use me to make you stronger, and I'll do what you want if I agree with it." Esther considered this for a moment.

"You are in no place to make demands." She said, and my heart dropped. "But I will accept your request and adhere to it, most of the time. A few times I might have to make you do things if you refuse, but we will discuss that when it comes." I nodded. "Then you can go up and see your children before we turn you."
I paused, not sure if this was a trick. But after a minute, I turned and ran up the stairs, following the sound of their hearts. Esther was right behind me as I ran to a door with a man standing outside. He stepped out of my way when Esther gave him a nod, and I flew into the room.

My babies were both lying on a dusty blanket on the floor, kicking their legs and making the occasional baby sound to each other. I fell to my knees in front of them and reached out. Lexi spotted me first and reached out a chubby hand. I picked her up and sat her on my lap before reaching for Zach.

I hugged my children to my chest, tears spilling from my eyes. They were safe, and that was all that mattered. I kissed the tops of their heads, which were lightly dusted with growing hair.

"You're okay now." I whispered to them, rocking back and forward slightly. "Daddy's going to take care of you from now on. And you have all your aunties and uncles too. You won't miss me."

I knew as soon as I walked through the door that I wouldn't see my friends again. Esther wouldn't keep to her word about controlling me. She had just told me what I wanted to hear. As soon as I turned into a hybrid, I would be her slave. I couldn't risk being near anyone.

Esther could turn me around and send me back to them, but I knew she wouldn't. If anything, she'd be pleased. If I had no more ties to anyone, I would be easier to control.

Lexi gave a gentle coo as I rocked her, and Zach grabbed a lock of my hair. I smiled down at him as he clapped his tiny hands on the ends of my hair.

"I'll come back for you one day, I promise." I kissed their heads again, for the last time. "I'm so sorry."

"You're doing the right thing by leaving them Elena." Estehr said from the doorway. "I won't make you go back to them."

"I know." I sniffed. "Now give them back to the others." Esther nodded.

"Come with me." She said.

Cradling my babies to my chest, I followed her downstairs. The witch and the man guarding the room appeared behind us as we approached the front door. We stepped outside, and Esther stopped me a step out of the door.