23

The second time I woke, it was to the sound of two people having a whispered conversation. I kept my eyes shut, pretending to still be asleep. Damon's arm was still around me, and my head was resting on his chest.

"I've known the guy one day and I like him already." Bonnie whispered. "I've never seen Elena so happy with anyone else."

"He makes her feel alive." Caroline responded. "Can you imagine how amazing of a mother Elena's going to be. She's always been great with kids."

"Hey, but we get to be the cool aunts." Bonnie gave a light laugh. "Those kids are never going to be alone. They'll have me, and you, and Stefan, Enzo, Klaus, Jeremy, Alaric, Josie and Lizzie are only a year or so older."

"Who knows, maybe Katherine might be there to manipulate them into being classy bitches." Caroline giggled. "I've known Elena was pregnant for what, a day, and I would already die for those kids."

"Don't go all sappy on me Care." Bonnie must have nudged her, because Caroline made a small noise of complaint. "Come on."

Their footsteps faded away and I finally opened my eyes. So Lizzie and Josie still existed in this version of today. I loved those little girls, just like everyone else did. Hell, I'd die for them if I had too, just like Caroline said.

Maybe me going back to the future hadn't made things bad at all. If nothing else, it had solved the Klaus situation.

"What are you smiling at?" Damon asked.

"Our life." I replied, turning my head. "I love you."

"I love you too." Damon yawned sleepily, and I couldn't help but giggle. "Are you laughing at me Mrs Salvatore?"

"Maybe I am." I raised an eyebrow. "What about it?"
Damon was suddenly on top of me, his hands on either side of my head holding him up. My breath came out shaky as I looked up into his eyes. His body we pressed close against mine, but he didn't put any weight on my stomach, probably conscious of the babies.

"Okay." I relented. "I'm sorry for laughing at you."
Damon chuckled and dipped his head to kiss me, long and lingering. My mind was scrambled when he finally pulled away. I sat up as he rolled away. I was about to say something, and then felt something that made me gasp.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Damon reached for me as I clapped my hands on my stomach. I shook my head, waiting. It came again, a fluttering pressure from inside.

"They're kicking." I said. "Here." I took Damon's hand and rested it on my stomach where I had felt a kick.

We waited for a long moment, and then there was another kick. I looked up at Damon with a wide smile. He was staring at my stomach in wonder, and then he looked at me. I pressed my lips together, trying not to cry. The most indescribable feeling was washing through my body, and I was overwhelmed by love, for my babies, and for Damon.

Raising my other hand, I rested it on Damon's cheek, tilting my head up to softly press my lips to his. His arm circled around me, holding me close. I pulled away slowly, and Damon kissed my forehead.

"You are going to be an amazing mother." He told me, before leaning down and speaking to my stomach. "Hey in there." Damon smiled, and I ran my fingers through his hair, watching him. "You have no idea how lucky you are to be born. You weren't supposed to exist, but you do." Damon looked up at me. "We're going to love you forever."

"Forever." I agreed, and Damon sat up to pull me into a hug.

-

One month and three weeks later, my friends started acting strange. I was too tired to ask, my babies taking most of my energy. I was only a week away from my due date, and my stomach had swollen to become huge. I didn't go anywhere much, so my friends came over to the boarding house a lot to keep me company.

Over the last few days, I noticed that they had tried to keep me away from parts of the house, like the kitchen, and a few of the spare rooms. I hadn't been bothered to sneak down to see what I was being hidden from, but I wanted to ask.

"Hey Care?" I asked one morning as I was sitting in the lounge with her and Bonnie. "What are you guys planning?" Both Caroline and Bonnie glanced at each other and then back to me.

"Nothing." Bonnie said with a light laugh. "We're just all on edge, you know. In case the babies come." I nodded. "Anyway, we are going out."

"Where?" I sighed. "I swear Bonnie..."
"We're just going to visit the twins." Bonnie defended herself, laughing. "I thought you might want to get out of the house. Ric needs to go into the Armoury for a few hours, and he asked me to watch the kids."

"Oh." I smiled. "Great. I haven't seen Lizzie and Josie in a few weeks." Bonnie stood, and I got up after a few seconds.

"Don't forget this." Caroline pulled my baby bag out from under the couch, where we kept it just in case we had to go to the hospital quickly.

"You're not coming?" I asked as Bonnie took the bag. Caroline shook her head.

"I'm meeting Klaus." She blushed slightly.

"Have fun." I waved as Bonnie and I made for the door.

I got in the passenger seat of Bonnie's car as she threw the bag in the backseat. She came around and got in the driver's seat, turning on the engine and pulling out. I stared out of the window the whole way, watching Mystic Falls pass.