17

We spent all day in bed together, relishing in our new feeling as a married couple. I almost felt sorry for our neighbours having to deal with the noise, but then I remembered that this wasn't future Mystic Falls. The nearest house was still twenty metres away. We were completely alone.

Finally, exhausted and hungry - though in different ways - , we left our bed in time for dinner. We didn't bother getting fully dressed, Damon in just plain pants and me in one of his larger long sleeved shirts that stopped halfway down my thigh.

"I'm just going to the bathroom." I kissed Damon briefly as he started pulling food out to start cooking.

"Okay." He gazed after me as I found my way to the bathroom.

Locking the door, I made for the window and opened it. It was just big enough for me to fit through, and I landed soundlessly on the ground. There was a man walking on the road and I stamped my feet so he would look over.

Motioning with my finger, I beckoned him over. He looked stunned but complied, hurrying over with a bag in his hand. I must look strange in just a shirt, but I would make him forget in a few moments.

"Don't move, don't make a sound." I compelled him before sinking my teeth into his neck. Blood flooded into my mouth, and I closed my eyes as I satiated my thirst. Drinking deeply, I didn't stop until I felt him start to sway. Pulling away, I bit my wrist, holding it against the man's mouth until I felt him swallow.

The wound on his neck sealed, and I checked around me before turning back to the man. He was staring blankly back at me.

"Forget you ever saw me. Go home, you don't remember this." I compelled him again. The man walked off, and I climbed back in through the window, shutting it behind me.

Closing the window, I checked to make sure that there was no dirt on my feet before running the water for a few seconds and then unlocking the door. Damon was right where I had left him.

"You know, I've been thinking..." He said as I came up behind him.

"Yeah?" I kissed his shoulder.

"I know we're young, and we just got married, but you know, I've always wanted to..." Damon trailed off, obviously unsure. I rubbed his shoulder with one hand.

"Damon, I am your wife. You can say anything." I prompted.

"I've always wanted to have kids." Damon blurted out. "And the men in my family have always had issues with infertility, so if you wanted kids we could start trying whenever you want. But it's completely up to you."

My heart shattered at the mention of kids. I was a vampire. I could never have kids, though I wanted them with all my heart. And Damon did too. He had mentioned having kids a few times, in such a longing voice that I knew it would break his heart if he knew I couldn't have any.

"Damon, I...." I ran a hand through my hair. "It's the same with my family. I could be completely infertile. But there's no harm in trying now." This was all I could say right now.

"I'm sure that you're fine." Damon abandoned his prep for dinner and turned properly, his hand touching my face. "You're serious? You want kids? You would be okay with it if this happened now?"

"I'd be okay with it if I found out I was having a child right now." I whispered. And I meant every word I said.

Damon smiled and tipped my chin up, kissing me passionately. I wound my arms around his neck as he lifted me off the floor. Damon set me down on the counter, and I slung my legs around his hips. He continued kissing me deeply, and I reached down to unbuckle the belt on his pants.

-

In the end, we completely forgot about dinner. What Damon had started lay neglected on the bench, but neither of us cared. We were too busy wrapped up in each other.

We fell asleep together late that night, breathless and tired. I lay on my stomach, my leg resting over one of Damon's, my head on his chest. My dreams were filled with him, kissing me, dancing with me, laughing with me. I woke up with a smile on my face, and saw Damon gazing down at me with a hand behind his head.

"What?" I yawned.

"Am I not allowed to gaze at my breathtakingly beautiful wife?" Damon kissed my cheek. "I have to say though, yesterday was quite a day, and I don't just mean our wedding." I chuckled.

"You, Mr Salvatore, have some hidden talents." I ran my hand down his strong jawline. "If there was any chance we could have kids, that was it."

Damon blushed slightly, his hand trailing softly up my side, drawing random patterns with his fingertips. I propped myself up on one elbow and leaned over to kiss him slowly and softly. We both knew it wouldn't lead to anything, and we pulled back after a few moments. I smiled.

"Breakfast?" I offered, and Damon nodded. He watched as I got out of bed and pulled my white nightgown on.

Downstairs, I quickly made a breakfast of toasted bread, eggs, and cooked meat. As I was sliding everything onto two plates, Damon came down stairs, again wearing only pants. I smiled at him and carried two plates to the table, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek as we sat down.

As we ate, I silently prayed that nature would be cast aside for a while. I knew that vampires couldn't procreate. A small smile spread over my face as I remembered Damon saying that to me one day. "Vampires can't procreate, but we love to try." It was something like that.

Anyway, I shook that thought out of my head. Maybe there was a witch I could find that might be able to help us, even if it was just once. This was important to Damon, and important to me. I never realised how hard it would be until the situation was right in front of me.