10

By the time everyone had left, the sky was beginning to darken. It got dark earlier than usual at this time of year, but Damon still insisted on walking me home. Katherine had gone with Stefan to the Salvatore house for a while. She had told me not to wait for her.

"Thank you for today." I said as we stopped outside the small cottage I shared with Katherine, and occasionally Emily - the witch that Katherine was friends with.

"You looked stunning." Damon said. "You still do." He tucked a strand of hair out of the way. "See? There's always a chance if you enter." His eyes sparkled, and I laughed.

"Yes, you were right. Thank you for persuading me." I looked up into his eyes.

Damon stroked my cheek with the back of his fingers, something that never failed to make my breath falter. Curling his fingers under my chin, Damon tilted my head up and pressed his warm lips to mine. We heard footsteps walking along the road behind us.

"Ahh, young love." An elderly woman on the arm of her husband sighed. Damon and I smiled and ducked our heads as they passed.

When they were out of sight, Damon and I met each other's eyes and laughed. Damon rested his forehead against mine, taking both of my hands in his. I looked back up into his eyes. They mesmerised me every time I saw them, and I knew I could stare into them forever.

"Stefan and I are going away tomorrow." Damon said. "We will be back tomorrow night, or perhaps the next morning if we get held up."
"Are you going hunting?" I asked, and he nodded.

"If you would allow me, I would like to take you on a picnic when I get back."

"I would love to." I smiled. "Have fun tomorrow."

"Goodnight Elena." Damon paused. "I love you." He said in a low voice.

"I love you too."

Damon pressed one last short kiss to my lips, and then disappeared into the night. I stayed where I was for a moment before turning to go inside. Closing the door behind me, I lit a few candles so I could see.

Slipping into my nightgown, I hung up the blue dress so it wouldn't crumple in the night. I would take it back tomorrow. Pulling the pins from my hair, I let it fall down my back in the plait, which was messy and loose. I went to the bathroom and wiped off the traces of makeup, and finally set my crown on the bedside table.

Blowing out the candles, I climbed into bed and closed my eyes.

-

The next day, I returned the dress and helped to pack up the last of the pageant. There wasn't much else I could do, so I spent the rest of the day reading some of the books that Katherine had in her cottage.

It always felt strange when Damon left. We were always together, completely inseparable. I went to bed early, but I couldn't fall asleep for a long time.

The next morning, I dressed in my favourite cream dress and undid my plait, which I had kept in during the night. My hair floated over my shoulders in waves. By the time there was a knock on the door, I was in the kitchen, sweeping just for something to do.

Putting away the broom, I opened the door and saw Damon standing there. He was holding a small basket in one hand.

"Good morning Elena." He said. "Are you ready?"
"Yes." I stepped outside and closed the door behind me. "Lead the way Mr Salvatore."

Damon chuckled at me and we started walking. I couldn't help but glance over at him every few seconds. Damon was the love of my life, in both the future and the past which we lived in. Whether or not I could get back to my old life, I would be content staying here.

We walked side by side through Mystic Falls until we were a few hundred metres away from the Salvatore house. Damon took my hand and led me into the forest, finding the hidden path. I knew where we were going, and smiled.

After a few minutes, we stepped out from the path and into the clearing. The sunlight lit up the flowers growing all over the ground, rays of yellow streaming in through gaps in the trees. It was beautiful.

Damon was watching me as I let go of his hand and stepped further into the clearing, tilting my face up to the sun and smiling. When I looked back at him, he had the most adoring expression on his face. I couldn't help it, I walked back over to him and kissed his cheek.

"This is amazing." I told him when I pulled away. "Thank you." Damon's cheeks were slightly pink, and my heart swelled at how much I loved him.