1

Elena's POV

"How does this work again?" I twisted my fingers together as Bonnie lit a candle with her magic. Stefan and Damon were watching from the couch, staying out of the way. Stefan refused to look at me; ever since I had told him about my feelings for Damon he had been heartbroken. I couldn't blame him. I would feel horrible if I was in his situation too.

Damon met my gaze, and gave me a small smile. As soon as this whole mess with Klaus was over, I would tell him how I felt. He knew already from the kisses and moments we had already shared, but I had never said those three little words that could and would change anything. And I meant them with my whole heart.

"Just a little blood, a little fire, and as long as I get it perfectly right, you'll be fine. Klaus can never trace you down again." Bonnie made a face. "It'll be okay as long as it works."

"Okay." I sat down with my legs folded, in front of her.

Bonnie lit the rest of her candles, all in a ring around us. She held out a knife and I took it, running the blade across my palm and letting the blood pool in my hand. It healed almost instantly, the vampire side of me kicking in.

I met Damon's eyes again over Bonnie's shoulder, and he gave me a small nod. He was telling me things that he couldn't say out loud right now, and I flicked my eyes slightly down and up to let him know that I understood. As soon as this was over, I would say everything that I had been yearning to say for months.

Bonnie began to chant and I let my eyes slip closed. There was a flash of light behind my eyes that consumed me, and then complete, utter silence. I waited a moment, and then opened my eyes.

I was sitting on a forest floor, my friends nowhere in sight.

And I had no idea where I was.