Part 60: The End of The Beginning

Zoey narrates.

He holds me by the small of my back, pulling me closer toward him, as I laugh, my eyes watering with happy tears. I bite my lip and take a deep breath, convincing myself that this is all real.

He moves my hair out of my face and holds it gently, shaking his head, grinning. He leans down and takes my lips in his, softly. Pulling away, I move my hands away from his shoulders and tighten them around his waist.

I'm nervous, but I'm so excited. I feel like I've never known Aaron in the way that I do now.

'Are you sure you're ready?' He asks.

I smile, and kiss him.

'So ready.' I reply.

'Aaron Jackson, will you get back together with me?' I ask.

'I would love to.' He replies, smiling.

He then gets on one knee and pulls out my wedding ring from his pocket, as I look on shocked.

'Zoey Johnson-Jackson, will you marry me? Again? For real?' He asks, and I gasp, holding my hand over my face in disbelief.

'A million times yes!' I reply, hugging him, as he lifts me up and spins me around in excitement.

'Yay, papa!' AJ shouts, jumping up and down, as Zara grins widely, clapping her hands.

Aaron and I were back together.

_____

After Aaron had asked me to marry him again, we'd decided to have an official party to renew our vows.

I couldn't wait, and I was even more excited to have my kids there too.

Today, I'm out with Zara, AJ and my mom and dad, as we pick out their outfits for the vow renewal/mini wedding.

'Zara, sweetie, what would you like to wear?' I ask, as we walk around the mall.

'I want to wear a dress. But I want it to be like a soft pink.' She says, firmly, as I smile.

'You're going to look so gorgeous!' I say, beaming with pride at my little fashion forward daughter.

'Can I wear that dinosaur shirt that papa brought me?' AJ asks, excitedly, as I laugh.

'Maybe you can wear that to dinner tonight?' My mom suggests.

After a little while, we sit down for coffee.

'Zoey, honey, I just want to make sure that this is what you want.' My dad says, quietly, as the kids occupy themselves.

'What do you mean?' I ask, taking a sip of my coffee.

'The last year has been rough. I just want you to be happy.' He says, as I hold his hand.

'Dad, look I know exactly what you're trying to say. This has been tough. But worse than that, being without Aaron has been hell. And...' I start, but midway, I get teary.

'And I love his so much.' I say, my eyes watering, as I hold my hand to my chest.

'I love him so much, it hurts. Every day and every night, he's all I think about. I know that in my heart, this is the right decision. We needed that time apart. Now, we're stronger than ever.' I say.

'Honey, I'm so glad.' My mom says, breathing a sigh of relief.

'I know how much Aaron loves you. I don't know if he ever told you this, but when you first separated and didn't talk to each other, he'd call me everyday to ask how you were. He couldn't stop thinking about you.' She says.