Part 17: Baby

Zoey narrates.

Aaron and I are going to stay at my mom and dad's place this weekend, as it's my mom's birthday, and they're having a party.

Aaron loads our bags into the car, before sitting in the driver's seat, as I sit on the other side.

I close my eyes, and lean my head back.

'Are you okay?' He asks, placing a hand on my thigh.

'Yeah, I'm fine. I just feel a little tired.' I say, opening my eyes and looking at him.

'Will you be alright? We can cancel if you need to...' He asks, but I shake my head.

'No, we'll go. Mom is so excited to see us. I'll be fine...I promise.' I say, sensing his worry.

He nods, and leans forward to kiss me, before we drive off.

_____

Upon our arrival in Sherman Oaks, we are greeted by my family at home.

'Hi Zoey!' Diane and Jack shout, running down to hug me.

'What's up man?' Junior says, seeing Aaron.

'Where's mom?' I asks.

'I'm here, sweetie! I'm so glad you both could make it.' She says, coming up behind me and wrapping her arms around me.

'Of course.' I reply, smiling.

'Let's get you both unpacked.' My dad says, as he and Aaron carry our bags upstairs, and I follow on.

_____

Aaron and I are sitting in my our bedroom, talking.

'Did you buy the necklace I wanted for my mom's gift?' I ask him, as he stares at me.

'I'll take that as a no.' I say, crossing my arms, waiting for his excuse.

'I honestly forgot.' He says, as he unfolds my arms and pulls me into a hug. I rest my head on his chest, wrapping my arms around his waist.

'I'll go and pick it up now.' He says, as I look up at him and smile.

'Thank you.' I say, as he kisses me softly.

'Brother incoming.' Junior shouts, walking into our room, covering his eyes.

I laugh.

'Junior you can look.' I say, gently pulling out of Aaron's embrace.

'Oh, good. I need to go and pick up mom's cake, if Aaron wants to drive me?' He asks, as Aaron nods.

'Yeah, I need to go pick something up anyways.' He says, getting up and fumbling around for his car keys.

'They're here.' I say, handing them to him, as he smiles and kisses the side of my head, before leaving with Junior.

_____

A little while later, I'm sitting at the breakfast bar in the kitchen, talking with my mom and  Diane.

'How is the prep going at work for New York Fashion Week?' My mom asks.

'It's going really well! We're all set up, just finalising a few more designs, and Luca and I are choosing our models next week, which should be exciting!' I say.

'Can you get me a ticket for the show?' Diane asks, sweetly.

'Of course I can.' I say, as she hugs me excitedly.

A little while later, my head starts to spin.

'Are you okay, Zoey?' Diane asks, as I hold my head still.

'Yeah, yeah, I'm fine.' I reply.

I decide to go and get some water from the fridge. I get up, and on my way over there, I collapse to the ground, hearing my dad in the background.

'Zoey!'

_____

I wake up, my head hurting.

Opening my eyes, I see my mom beside me, as she helps me sit up.

'How are you feeling, sweetie?' She asks.

'I'm fine...' I say, although she looks at me weirdly.

'What?' I ask.

'Are you sure you're okay?' She asks.

'I guess...the last couple weeks I've been feeling more tired...I just assumed it was because of work. And I have thrown up a few times...' I say, now realising what I've said.

I look at her, my eyes widened.

'I think you should take a test.' She says.

_____

After my mom makes me take a pregnancy test, we await the results in the bathroom.

'Mom, I feel unwell. I'm gonna go lie down. Bring it to me when it shows up?' I say, as she nods.

I get into bed, and text Aaron.

'Hey. Are you almost home?' I type.

He replies a few seconds later.

'Just leaving now. Is everything okay?' He replies, but before I can text back, my mom comes bouncing into my room.

'Zoey! It's positive!' She says, excitedly, handing me the test.

'It's...positive?' I say, in disbelief, though my mouth widens into a huge smile.

'I'm pregnant?'

'Oh my god. I'm pregnant!' I say, as I jump up and hug her.

'Dre, Dre? Come here, quick!' My mom shouts, as my dad and siblings come running into my room.

'Zoey's pregnant. She's having a baby!' She says, excitedly, as my Dad hugs me and my siblings smile, surprised.

'Zoey, baby, that's amazing!' My dad says, as I can't wipe the the smile from my face.

I'm having a baby.

_____