Part 52: Set Yourself Free

Bonus update today  <3

Zoey narrates.

I open the front door, as Aaron drops the kids back home to the penthouse.

'Hey! How was your weekend?' I say, hugging them both.

'So much fun!' AJ says, running upstairs.

'Seems like he's getting better at being away from me.' I say to Aaron.

'Zara, sweetie, did you have a good time?' I ask, as she nods, pulling out a box from her bag.

'I brought this for you, mom. Papa helped me pick it out.' She says, handing it to me.

I look at both of them, confused.

'Open it!' Zara says, so I do.

Inside, it's a beautiful, gold bangle, with Zara and AJ's names engraved into it.

'Sweetie...it's beautiful. Thank you, baby.' I say, kissing her cheek.

'Your welcome! It was papa's idea!' She says, as I look up at Aaron, teary.

'Zara, go and unpack. I need to talk to your mom.' Aaron says, as Zara nods before leaving.

'Thank you.' I say to him, as he gets something out of his bag.

'Zoey...I don't want to hurt you anymore.' He says.

I look at him, confused.

'I want you to be free, and I want you to be able to do whatever you want with your life, without me getting in the way.' He says, handing me a file.

I read the front of it.

'Divorce papers...' I whisper, my eyes tearing up, and my body frozen in shock.

'Look Zoey, if you don't love me anymore, then please...set yourself free. I've signed them already. It's your choice.' He says.

I look up at him, but my vision is blurred with tears.

'I care too much about you to hold you back any longer. I still love you.' He says, as he comes over to me, takes my face in his hands, and kisses my forehead softly.

He looks at me intently, stroking my cheek, as I close my eyes from his cold touch.

Then, he leaves toward the front door, but turns back one last time.

'Oh and I'll be back tomorrow to take the kids out for a movie.' He says, before leaving, as I stare at the papers, shaking.

_____

This evening, I'm at my parents' house with the kids, for dinner.

'See, Zoey? He's exactly like me. Andre Junior.' My dad says, smiling proudly at AJ who is engrossed in a video game with him.

My dad refuses to believe AJ stands for anything else but Andre Junior.

'Uncle Junior!' AJ shouts, running over to him as he enters the kitchen.

'Hey, kiddo!' He says.

'Except he actually likes Junior.' My dad says, muttering under his breath, and joining me in the kitchen.

'Where's your sister? I brought candy.' Junior says, hugging AJ.

'She's upstairs with aunty Diane.' He says.

'AJ, sweetie, go and join your brother. I'll call you down for dinner.' I say, as he nods before leaving.

At first, I was going to keep the potential divorce news a secret, but I decided I needed some advice.

'So, guys, I have something to tell you.' I say, as my mom, dad, and Junior all look at me, waiting.

'You and Aaron are getting back together?!' My mom suggests, smiling widely.

'No, mom!' I say, as she frowns, and continues chopping vegetables.

'Actually...this morning, Aaron dropped the kids home. And...he gave me a set of signed divorce papers.' I say, as they gasp.

'What the hell...' My dad says, his anger rising.

'Dad, calm down! It's not like that. He said...he said...it was my choice. That he didn't want to hold me back anymore. But...I think he still loves me.' I say, quietly.

'Oh, Zoey...' My mom says, coming over and wrapping her arms around me.

'Do you still want to be with him, Zo? You know, this was only supposed to be for a while.' Junior says.

'I just...I don't know. The more I think about it, the angrier it makes me. Why does he think it's so easy for me to just let him go? And does he really love me or is he just confused and lonely?' I say, sighing frustratedly.

'Whatever, I just don't know what to do.' I add.

'Maybe you should talk to him about it, Zo. Properly, like adults.' My dad suggests.

'Tell him exactly how you're feeling, like you've just told us.' My mom adds.

'He's coming over for the kids tomorrow...' I say.

'Perfect. How about I keep the kids tonight, so you can have some time to think? And then talk about it with him tomorrow.' My mom says.

'That would be great.' I say, wiping my tears, as I hadn't even realised I was crying.

'Mom? Are you alright?' I turn around to see AJ standing in the doorway, as I quickly compose myself.

'Yeah, sweetie, I'm fine!' I say, as he comes over and I prop him up on my lap.

'Why are you crying?' He asks.

'I'm not! There was something in my eye.' I say.

'Are you crying because of papa?' He asks.

How did this little boy become so smart?

'No, baby. Sometimes...there's things that mommy just feels sad about. But I'm fine! I have you and your sister, and that makes me happy again.' I say, kissing his head.

'I love you, mom.' He says, snuggling into my chest.

'I love you too, AJ.'

_____