Part 54: Dinner

Author Note:

I have a few parts pre-written and the story will be finished *soon*, so I'm updating with one more today! After that, I need to try and limit it to one per day, but I just love that you guys are enjoying it, so it always makes me feel like updating sooner haha!

_____

Zoey narrates.

We lay beside each other, looking at one another.

He takes his hand and I can feel him drawing circles on my exposed thigh. He inches closer toward me, until we're face to face. My breathing gets heavy. He kisses my lips softly.

'I just want to be close to you tonight.' He says, quietly.

'Me too.' I whisper.

And so we stay like that. That night, after having sex with Aaron for the first time in 7 months, we slept wrapped in each other's arms, closer than we've ever felt before.

_____

The next morning, I wake up and see that Aaron is no longer beside me.

I rub my eyes, before sitting up and checking my texts.

Mom:  'Dropping the kids back in a couple hours. How'd everything go with Aaron?'

Jillian:  'Hey, heard you were talking things out with Aaron, sounds like good news?'

Assistant Dani:  'New designs arrived yesterday. Should I send pics?'

Nomi:  'Do you still have that dress you wore when you got engaged? Wondered if I could borrow it for my date!'

Sky:  'No, Zoey, I did not steal your louboutins......I borrowed them.'

Luca:  'Your assistant messed up the whole schedule, so relocating the shoot to Paris. When do you get back to work?'

Diane: 'Mom said you're getting a divorce? Sad to hear, but think its for the best?'

Jazz:  'How did you get AJ to sleep through the night? This is HELL!'

Ana: 'Can I take Zara shopping this weekend? Miss my babies!'

Aaron:  'Had to leave for work. Still on for dinner with the kids later? Think we should talk about last night?'

My head hurts. 

I put my phone down and decide not to reply to any messages right now. Last night was...confusing. And who knows if it'll even change anything right now?

I decide to go and make breakfast, since the kids will be back soon.

_____

A little while later, I'm sitting on the couch in the living room, eating my pancakes and watching Netflix. I reach for some more whipped cream from the table, deciding to drown my sorrows in food.

I hear a key unlocking the door, and turn around to see my mom and the kids entering.

'Mom!' AJ shouts, running over to hug me.

'Hey, kid! I missed you! How was your sleepover with grandma?' I ask.

'Uh, Rainbow?!' My mom says, shaking her head and sitting on the couch opposite me.

My mom insisted the kids call her Rainbow.

'We had so much fun!' AJ says.

Zara goes over and sits beside my mom.

'AJ is so annoying.' She says, as my eyes widen in surprise.

'Zara, sweetie, that's not a very nice thing to say about your brother.' I say, as AJ sticks his tongue out at her.

'Hey, stop.' I say, giving him a stern look.

'They just got into a little, petty fight, that's all. Zara, why don't you go upstairs and help your brother unpack his bag?' My mom suggests.

'Okay, Rainbow. Love you.' Zara says, planting a kiss on my mom's cheek, and then hugging me, before leaving with AJ.

'We're going out for dinner with your dad tonight, okay? So, behave until then or we won't go.' I call out, as they go upstairs, and I laugh hearing excited squeals.

'I'm sorry if they bothered you. Zara's getting frustrated with AJ recently. She no longer thinks he's cute, but now thinks he's annoying. Constant bickering.' I say, sighing.

'Oh, no! They were angels. You know we love having them around, especially Dre.' She replies.

'So...what happened last night?' She asks, leaning forward, listening intently.

'Honestly...I don't even remember?' I say.

'Were you drunk?' She asks, shocked.

'No! Completely sober, mom!' I reply.

'Here goes nothing. It was going well, and I was getting all of my feelings and anger out, and then...we slept together.' I confess.

Her mouth gapes in shock.

'Zoey...' She whispers.

'Oh my god! Zoey!' She says, standing up and jumping with excitement.

'So you're back together?! Oh my! Wait, I've got to call your father.' She says, but I quickly interject.

'No, mom! We're not back together. And honestly, I don't know if we can get back together.' I say, frowning.

'I mean, think about it. We've been down this road before. We break up and then make up and it only gets worse from there. We ignore the real issues and then we just get into another huge fight.' I say.

'Last night was...special. But...I feel like it was a mistake. I don't know.' I add.

'So what are you going to do?' She asks.

'Family dinner, I suppose.' I reply, biting my nails.

_____

That evening, after taking hours to get myself and the kids ready for dinner, we arrive at the restaurant and meet Aaron outside.

The kids run up to him, as he embraces them in a hug.

'I've missed you guys.' He says, smiling at them.

'Hey.' He says, when I finally catch up to them all.

'Hey.' I say, as he gives me a side hug and kisses the side of my head.

'Should we head in?' I suggest, as he nods, and we make our way to our table.

'Mom, I want to ask you guys something.' Zara says, as Aaron and I scan the menu.

'Of course sweetie, what's up?' I ask.

'I have my first ballet recital next week...I wanted to ask if you and papa would come to watch. Together?' She asks, nervously.

I look at Aaron, and finally realise why Zara's been extra moody. She's been nervous to ask. Aaron and I usually take it in turn for the kids' school events.

'Oh, baby, of course we'll come.' I say, squeezing her hand.

'Yeah, I can't wait to watch.' Aaron adds.

'Look sweetie, remember, we are a family. And we will always be a family.' I say, reassuring her, as she finally grins, widely.

'I'm hungry!' AJ says, slamming his hand down on the table.

'Yeah, okay, let's order.' Aaron says, as we laugh at AJ's impatience, and for the first time in the last few months, we really do feel like an actual family.

_____