Part 8: Wedding

Zoey narrates.

I stand beside my dad, behind the doors of the chapel. I'm nervous.

'Zoey, look at me.' He says, as I turn towards his face, and he smiles.

'I'm so happy for you, and so proud of you baby girl. This is going to be perfect.' He says, as I lean in and hug him.

'Ready?' He asks, as I nod and link my arm with his, and the doors to the chapel open widely.

As my dad walks me down the aisle, slowly, I lock eyes with Aaron from the distance. Everything in our turbulent relationship has led up to this special moment.

As we get closer, I see Aaron quickly wipe a tear from the corner of his eye.

We reach the stage, and my dad kisses my cheek, as Aaron comes down and puts out his hand for me. I take it and he helps me on to the stage, as my bridesmaids, Nomi and Ana fix my train behind me.

Facing each other, Aaron lifts my veil from my face, placing it behind my head.

He grins at me widely, as my eyes water. I'm just so happy.

I hand my bouquet of flowers to Diane, my maid of honour, as Aaron holds my hands in each of his. As we stare at each other, eyes locked, never moving, Luca begins.

'Dearly beloved, friends, and family alike, we are gathered here today to join this man, and this woman, in holy matrimony.'

My heart skips a beat. I can't believe this is finally happening. I can hear my dad, crying, in the background and see my friends smiling excitedly.

We proceed to our vows next, as Ana hands me my paper, and I begin to read slowly, a crack in my voice, as I can't stop crying.

'Aaron, I've always wondered if I'd ever find my soulmate. When I met you, I never imagined my soulmate would end up being my best friend. I've found everything I've ever wanted in you. You're my rock, my whole world, and I never want to be apart from you, because without you, I'm lost. My best friend, my soulmate, my love. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you.' I say, my eyes watering, as Aaron smiles at me softly.

Aaron looks to Doug and Vivek for his vows, but Doug steps forward and tries to speak quietly.

'Yeah, I can't find the vows man.' He says, worriedly, as everyone hears and laughs.

'It's okay. I don't need them.' Aaron replies, looking directly at me.

'Zoey, when I saw you walking down the aisle, I knew in my heart that the single, best decision I've ever made in my life, was you. I love you, Zoey. I will always love you, Zoey. Being your best friend has been my honour, but I'm most excited to be your husband and spend the rest of my life with you. I know that you are the person I'm meant to be with. There's no Aaron without Zoey.' He says, as he leans in and kisses my forehead, met with an applaud.

'The rings?' Luca asks, as they are handed to us. I take Aaron's hand and push the ring onto his finger, as he does the same to mine. I gasp, seeing the ring Aaron chose.

'It's perfect.' I whisper to him.

We hold hands, once again.

'Do you take each other, to love and to hold, in sickness and health, till death do you part?' Luca says.

'I do.' Aaron replies.

'I do.' I say, with the most confidence I've ever had.

'Then, by the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.'

Aaron leans in, still holding my hands, and kisses me long and softly. We break away, before kissing again, as everyone stands and claps for us, and my family and friends wipe their tears.

'I love you.' I whisper to Aaron, as I take my flowers again and we start to walk down the aisle together.

'I love you too.'

_____

Our wedding reception is perfect. Despite all the chaos, it all came together in the end.

Aaron and I take to the floor for our first dance together, as husband and wife. Standing close, in the centre of the dance floor, I drape my arms around his neck, as he positions his hands on my waist, and we move together, to the beat of the music.

We stare at each other, with so much love.

'How are you feeling?' He asks, as we dance.

'I can't believe we're married.' I say, smiling.

'I know, it's crazy. This is all I've ever wanted. To make you Mrs Jackson.' He says, leaning down to kiss me.

'I'm so excited for our future together. You're vows were beautiful.' I say.

'I meant every word. It's you, Zoey. You're my purpose.' He says, as my eyes tear up, and we hold our heads together, eyes closed, feeling safe with each other, for the remainder of the song.

The song ends, and we pull apart, Aaron kissing my lips multiple times, before my dad takes over for our father-daughter dance.

Later, as the wedding reception continues and all the guests are seated for food, my friends decide to raise a toast.

'So, I'd like to raise a toast, please.' Ana says, as the room falls silent, and Aaron and I listen intently, sitting beside each other, holding hands.

'I've known Zoey and Aaron for a long time now. And in that time, I've always known that they were meant to be. The way you both care for each other, and support each other, unconditionally sets the most perfect example of what love is supposed to be. I could not be happier for you both, and I know that you've come a long way together and I only hope it goes up from here.' She says, as I whisper my gratefulness to her.

'If I may?' My mom asks, from the next table, standing up to take over.

'Zoey. My sweet, sweet Zoey. It's been an absolute privilege to watch you grow up into such an amazing, young woman who has been through so much, but has never, ever given up. I'm so proud of the person you are today, and I've always wanted to see you fall in love and marry someone who cares for you so much, and I'm glad I have. Aaron, you're like my fourth son. I'm so grateful to you for everything you do for Zoey, and for loving her so deeply. You're perfect for each other and I wish you nothing but blessings for your married life.' She says, crying, as Aaron and I both go over to hug her.

The wedding reception continues into the night, full of dancing and laughter, as Aaron and I continue to enjoy our special day with our friends and family, a day that we'll never forget.

The day that Aaron and I became husband and wife.

_____