Part 7: Time

Zoey narrates.

I come back into the reception hall, my eyes watering.

'Mom? Why isn't he here yet?' I say, my voice shaking. My friends and family gather, silently, unsure what to say.

'Oh sweetie.' She hugs me tight, and I hold on to her, refusing to let go.

'It's okay, honey. Doug and Vivek are out looking for him. He'll be here soon, I promise.' She says.

'But it's been 2 hours. He should have been here ages ago. And he's not picking up his phone...what if...what if he changed his mind?' I ask, but continue before she can speak.

'No. He can't change his mind. I know that he loves me. I know that we're meant to be together. This can't have all been a lie?' I say, though I feel helpless.

'Just try to relax, Zo. Please?' Jillian asks.

'What about all the guests? The ceremony was supposed to start 30 minutes ago.' I say, worriedly.

'Zoey, don't worry. I've sorted if. I've said there's been a delay. It's going to be okay. He'll be here soon.' Ana says, reassuringly.

'Oh god...' I frown, my eyes watering, as I see Doug and Vivek come back, hopelessly.

Another half hour passes.

'He's not coming.' I say softly, almost with a whisper, but they all hear.

I see my mom place a hand to her head, stressfully, as my dad tries to calm her down, and I see my siblings confused as to what to do.

I take a deep breath, before standing up, and asking Jazz and Sky to help me with the train of my dress.

'Zoey, what are you doing?' Nomi asks, confused.

'He's not coming.' I say, adamantly.

I gesture Jazz and Sky to hold the heavy train of my dress as I go into the chapel, standing on the stage, in front of all of the guests.

'Zoey!' My parents call after me, confused as everyone follows me into the chapel.

'Hi, erm...' I start to speak on the stage, as it goes quiet and all the guests listen intently.

'I'm...I'm sorry for wasting your time today...It's...We...There's not going to be a wedding today...' I say, my eyes teary, as I hear quiet murmur amongst the guests.

Just as I turn to go out, wiping a tear, I hear a familiar, masculine voice. The only voice that makes me feel safe but also sends shivers down my spine.

'You're not going to wait for me?'

It's Aaron. Standing at the door of the chapel.

_____

He starts walking toward the middle of the aisle, as I start walking towards him as well, the girls following with my train.

As I come face to face with him, he's slightly wounded on his forehead.

'Aaron...what happened?' I say, softly, taking my hand to his forehead, and touching it, only for him to wince.

'It was an accident. I'm fine now.' He looks sad.

'You weren't going to wait for me?' He asks, and I sense the hurt in his voice.

My eyes water again, seeing him in pain.

'I...' I feel numb.

'Do I mean that little to you?' He asks, his eyes squinting, hurt.

'I thought you changed your mind...I thought you didn't want to marry me anymore.' I say, emotional.

He takes his hands and cups my face.

'How could you think, even for a second, that I wouldn't want to marry you?' He asks.

I shake my head.

'Zoey, I love you. So much. I've never been so sure of anything in my life, except you. You've taught me what love is. Of course I want to marry you. I want nothing more than to spend every second of my life with you.' He says, a crack in his voice.

'Aaron, you mean everything to me.' I say.

'I love you too.' I whisper, as he leans in and kisses my lips gently.

'I'm sorry.' He says pulling away.

'I came a little late. But I had to come, right?' He says, smiling at me, as my heart warms and I smile back.

We are snapped out of our little trance, as the guests applaud around us, and I blush.

Aaron carries on staring at me, smiling.

My mom comes over to us.

'Zoey? Go and get ready with your father. Aaron, sweetie, come with me. Let's quickly bandage up your wound, and then we'll get this show on the road!' She says, as I look around at the elated faces of my friends.

_____

With a quick few changes, it's finally time. Aaron and I are about to get married.

In the reception room, I'm holding Aaron's hand, not wanting to let go until the last minute.

'Okay guys, don't freak, but amidst all the chaos, the priest left. I don't even know when.' Ana says, stressed.

'What?! What are we going to do?' I say, looking at Aaron, worriedly.

'I'll marry you.' Luca says, as everyone looks on confused.

'What do you mean? She's marrying Aaron?' My sister Diane says, screwing her face.

'No. I mean I'll perform the ceremony. I'm licensed to officiate wedding ceremonies. Don't ask why.' He says, casually.

'You'd do that for us?' Aaron asks.

'Of course. If you want me to. You're my friends. I'll always be prepared to help you.' Luca replies, as Aaron shakes his hand.

'Thanks man.' He says.

'Thank you, Luca.' I say softly, as he hugs me.

'Okay, can we not delay any longer, guys? Let's go, let's go...' Ana says, as she gestures to everyone and they all filter into the chapel in their respective places.

I look at Aaron one last time, as he gazes into my eyes, and gently squeezes my hand.

'See you on the other side?' He says.

It's time.

_____