Part 23: Crazy about You

Zoey narrates.

After Aaron's revelation at the dining table, that he'd decided not to take up his new job offer in London, I find him outside in the backyard, sitting alone.

'Hey.' I say, as I go over and sit beside him.

He sighs, leaning back against the chair. He looks at me, and runs his finger down my face, gently.

'I'm sorry it got a bit heated in there.' He says, as I shake my head.

'No, no, it's totally fine. I get it. It's a lot.' I say, as he looks into the distance.

'Why did you say no to the job?' I ask, cautiously.

'Honestly, Zoey? I don't even know myself. This is such a great opportunity for me and for my career...but there's one thing that's more important than my career, and that's you. You and our family.' He says, rubbing my growing baby bump.

'You know that I would support you wherever we are, and I'm happy to do this for you.' I say, and he nods.

'I know. And I'm really grateful to you for that. But...something just doesn't feel right about it. I like our life here. I like being surrounded by family and friends, and I like the balance we have. I want our baby to grow up around people who we both love.' He says, as I take his face in my hands.

'Are you sure this is what you want?' I ask, looking deep into his eyes.

'The only thing I've ever been sure about, is you Zoey. So yeah, I'm sure.' He says, smiling, as I kiss his lips.

'I'm crazy about you, Zoey.' He says, kissing my neck.

'I love you.' I reply, laughing.

_____

A few weeks later, Aaron and I are chilling with our friends at our apartment.

'Alright, I think it's time to give Zoey her surprise now, Aaron?' Nomi says, as I look at them all confused.

'What surprise? What's going on?' I ask, impatiently.

'We know how eager you've been to find out the gender of the baby...' Jazz says.

'So we've taken it upon ourselves to arrange a little gender reveal for you!' Nomi says, as I smile.

'What?! That's so sweet!' I say.

'And this is for you.' Aaron says, coming into the living room with a cake.

'When you cut into this, we'll know what we're having.' He says, placing the cake on the coffee table, and sitting on the couch beside me, as Sky assembles with a camera in front of us.

'Guys...you didn't have to do this.' I say, I say tearing up.

'What do you think it's gonna be? I'm hoping a boy. I want to teach him my style.' Doug says.

'Nah, I think it's going to be a girl.' Vivek replies.

'I don't know. Whatever it is, it's definitely going to like me the most.' Luca says, shrugging his shoulders, as we laugh.

'Boy or girl, I don't mind.' I say.

'Me either.' Aaron adds, kissing the side of my head.

'Can you do it now? I can't wait any longer!' Ana says, as I laugh.

Aaron and I hold the knife together and cut into the cake, and the inside is pink.

We're having a girl.

'Oh my god, it's a girl!' Jillian screams, as they all jump up and down, hugging each other excitedly.

Aaron turns to look at me, smiling, as I stare into his eyes, mine watering.

'Our little baby girl.' I say, as he leans forward and kisses me, and I hold his face, reciprocating.

We pull apart, and he pulls me back into a warm hug.

'This is amazing. It feels so real now!' Ana says.

'I'm going to go call my mom and dad.' I say, leaving to go to the kitchen, unable to wipe the grin off of my face.

_____

Later that night, I'm sat in bed, with a notepad and a pen.

Aaron comes out of the bathroom and gets in on the other side.

'What are you doing?' He asks.

'I'm brainstorming...baby names.' I say, as he laughs.

'Are you serious?' He asks.

'Yeah! I want to be prepared.' I reply.

'Okay, what have you got?' He asks.

I show him the list.

'Sarah? Really, Zoey?' He says, looking at me, as I hit him playfully.

'It's the first thing that came to my mind!' I say.

He scans through the rest of the list.

'I like Yasmin.' He says.

'Yeah I did too...until you said it.' I say, taking the list from him and crossing it out.

'What do you mean?' He asks, offended.

'I don't know.' I say, hopelessly.

He takes the list from me and puts it on the bedside table, before pulling me closer to him, as I snuggle into his chest, and he wraps his arms around me.

'When we see our beautiful baby girl, I think we'll know.' He says, stroking my arm.

'Yeah, you're right.' I say, sighing.

We stay cuddled for a moment, before I take Aaron's hand and place it on my bump. His eyes widen with surprise.

'She's kicking!' He says, excitedly.

'I can't wait to meet our baby girl.' I say, as he turns my head up towards him, and kisses me softly.

_____