Part 29: Push

Zoey narrates.

'It's time, Mrs Jackson.' Dr Smith says, as Aaron takes a towel, wiping the sweat off of my forehead.

I breathe heavily, my heart racing fast, as Aaron kisses my forehead, and leans down, so his face is inches away from mine., taking my hand in his, as I grip on to him.

'Zoey, look at me.' He says, and I do, staring directly into his eyes.

'This is it. You're going to be fine. I'm right here, okay. Be strong. Just a few more moments of pain, for a lifetime of happiness.' He says.

'I love you.' I say to him, and he kisses my lips quickly.

'I love you too.' He says, standing up again, holding my hand tightly, as the doctors and nurses assemble at the end of the bed.

'Alright, time to push!' Dr Smith says, and so I do, screaming from the immense pain.

'That's it, sweetie! Push!' My mom says, encouraging me, as Aaron holds my hand tighter.

I pant heavily, closing my eyes, listening to the doctors and pushing with as much power as humanely possible.

'Zoey, your doing great, baby.' Aaron says, as he spurs me on to push harder, and I scream even louder.

'Oh god, I can't...' I say, breathless.

'Aaron...I can't...I'm too tired...' I say, looking at him helplessly, crying.

'Yes you can, Zoey! Come on, you're nearly there...wait...I can see her head!' Aaron says.

'What?!' I say, though he doesn't reply, and I see him looking at the end of the bed.

This gives me the motivation I need, and so I push even harder, screaming, tears flowing from my eyes. I cling on to the collar of Aaron's shirt with one hand, and his palm with the other.

And then my heart drops. It's as though the room falls silent, even though I know there's lots of talking, and the monitors are beeping. In that moment, all I have to do, is take one look at Aaron, to know that this is what we've been waiting for.

I hear her crying. Even louder than my screaming.

'She's here!' Dr Smith says.

'What?' I ask, confused, and crying.

They place her on my chest, and I hold her tiny body, close to me, cradling her, and crying, seeing my tears drop on to her head.

I look up at Aaron, who's eyes are teary, in disbelief, and he has the widest grin on his face.

'Zoey...that's our baby girl.' He whispers, placing his hand on her gently.

'She's perfect...' I say, not taking my eyes off of her, and holding her tighter.

'You did it, Zoey. You did it.' He says, kissing my lips, keeping his hand on her.

A nurse comes and takes her away from me, gently.

'Wait! What are you doing?!' I say, panicked. as Aaron calms me down.

'Don't worry, baby. They just need to clean her up and check everything's okay. It's alright.' He says, stroking my head, as I lay back down on the bed, tired.

Aaron kisses both my cheeks and then my forehead, and I smile.

'We are officially parents.' I say.

'To the most beautiful baby girl.' Aaron adds, smiling.

I can't believe it.

_____

A few hours later, having spent some time with my little girl, I fall asleep for a while, after the long and exhausting labour I just went through.

I wake up, opening my eyes, and see Aaron sitting in the chair beside my bed, holding her in his arms, staring at her lovingly.

'Hey...how are you feeling?' He asks, when he sees me awake, as I yawn tiredly, resting my head back on the pillow.

'I'm good. I'm great.' I say, smiling, as he brings her over to me, and I hold her in my arms, kissing her forehead, before looking up at Aaron, who kisses my lips.

We hear a knock on the door, as my mom, dad and siblings enter.

'Hey, Zoey!' Diane says, as she immediately comes over to my side, staring at the baby.

'Oh my god, she's so beautiful.' She says, giving me a side hug.

My dad comes over and kisses my forehead.

'She's perfect. My first grandbaby.' He says, getting emotional.

A few moments later, all of our friends, bearing flowers and gifts, also come along, as we all rejoice in this special moment.

'Aunty Ana is here for you baby girl!' Ana says excitedly, as Aaron takes the baby from me and hands her to Ana, who cradles her gently.

'Zo, she's gorgeous.' Nomi says.

'Congrats, man!' Doug says to Aaron, who beams proudly.

'How was it?' Jazz asks.

'She was amazing. She's the strongest woman I've ever known.' Aaron says, looking at me and holding my hand.

'Have you decided on a name?' Jillian asks, holding the baby's hand.

I look at Aaron, who smiles back at me, and nods.

'We decided to call her...Zara.' I say, smiling.

'Zara...I love that!' My mom says, and everyone nods.

'Welcome to the world, Zara. You are so loved.' Jillian says, as they all gush over her, and Aaron and I can't stop smiling.

_____

That night, Aaron and I cuddle together, in my hospital bed, as Zara sleeps in her crib. We're allowed to go home tomorrow, so it's our last night here.

Aaron entwines his hand with mine, as I rest my head on his chest, listening to his heart beat.

'This is all I've ever wanted, Zoey. You and our little family.' He says, as I smile.

'I can't believe we made that.' I say.

'I can't believe we're parents.' He replies.

'She looks like you.' I say, looking over at her crib.

'What? No way, she's gorgeous. It's all you.' He says.

'She has your nose though. And your lips.' I say, looking up at him, as he kisses me and tightens his grip around me.

I'm sniffling, my eyes watery.

'Hey, what's wrong?' He asks, looking at me.

'I'm just so happy.' I say.

'Me too. And I'm so proud of you. I love you.' He says, kissing me.

'I love you, I love you, I love you...' He says continuously, as he kisses me all over my face, and I laugh.

I kiss his lips.

'I love you too. So, so much.' I reply, snuggling in closer to him, enjoying this moment, and preparing for every next moment that is to come.

_____