Part 14: The Friends

Zoey narrates.

Tonight, Aaron and I were meeting up with the crew for dinner at a beautiful restaurant for Nomi's birthday.

We arrive, as Aaron opens the door for me, placing a hand on my lower back protectively.

'Wow. This place is gorgeous.' I say, looking around.

'Hey, man. Party for Nomi Segal?' Aaron asks the guy at the front, who guides us to our table. As usual, Aaron and I are the first ones there.

'Of course everyone else is late.' I say, as he pulls out a chair for me, and I sit down, before he sits beside me.

'Doug just texted. Him and Jazz are stuck in traffic.' Aaron says, as I nod.

Aaron places a hand on my thigh and keeps it there, as we chat and wait for the rest of our friends.

A little while later, they arrive, as we order our food and drinks.

'Happy birthday, Nomi!' I say, hugging her beside me.

'Thank you!' She replies.

We start to talk and update each other on what's been going on.

'I actually have a confession to make.' Ana says, as we all listen, confused.

'Okay well...I matched with a guy on Tinder, and it just so happened to be...Javi.' She says, looking down, as we are all shocked.

'Javi? The same Javi who cheated on you in college?' Sky asks.

Ana nods, ashamed.

'Well...did you guys like talk?' Jillian asks.

'We did...and then we went on a date. And a few more dates...and I think things are getting serious.' She says.

'I'm happy for you, Ana. You seem really happy about this. Just make sure you don't get your heart hurt again.' I say, cautiously.

'I really am happy. He's changed.' She says, smiling shyly.

'If you ever need someone to beat this guy's ass, you know where to find me.' Vivek chimes in, as the boys laugh at him.

'What about you, Zoey? What's been going on with you?' Jazz asks.

'Well work has been going great. Luca and I have been working together on some really great designs for New York fashion week, and honestly, I think we've pulled something really great together.' I say, smiling at Luca, who nods.

'I'm so proud of you.' Aaron says, kissing the side of my forehead, his arm rested on the back of my chair.

'That's my wife, by the way, guys. All mine.' He adds,  nodding proudly.

'Oh my god! Do you think you can get me front row seats at your show?' Nomi asks, excitedly.

'Me too!' Sky says, as we all look at her confused.

'What? I want to support you guys...' She says, as we laugh.

'Yeah, of course. We'll send out your tickets soon.' I say.

'Jillian and I actually have something important to tell you guys.' Luca says, sitting up straight. He looks nervous.

'What is it?' Doug asks.

Jillian and Luca look at each other and smile.

'We're engaged!' Jillian blurts out, holding her hand up so we can see her ring.

'What?!'

'Oh my god! That's amazing!' I say, holding my hands to my face, shocked.

'What the hell man? Congrats guys.' Aaron says, shaking Luca's hand over the table.

'This is such a nice surprise!' Jazz adds.

'Thanks guys.' Jillian says.

'So does this mean we can expect a wedding for me to plan soon?!' Ana asks, excitedly.

'We were actually hoping to keep it pretty small and intimate. Just you guys and family?' Luca says, and we nod.

'I can't wait!' I say.

We spend the rest of the night together, talking away, and enjoying each other's company, before finally heading home.

_____

Aaron and I enter our apartment, smiling.

'How cool is it that Jillian and Luca are getting married?' I say, excitedly, as Aaron smiles.

'Kind of makes me reminisce about our wedding.' He says, pulling me closer to him, as I laugh.

'It's nearly been a year.' He says, stroking my face, and then hugging me tightly.

'Time flies.' I reply, sighing.

'What's wrong?' He asks.

'Do you ever think that...well, you know how sometimes people say that they're moving too fast in their relationships?' I say, as Aaron nods, confused.

'Well, do you think it's possible that sometimes you can move too slow in your relationship?' I ask him, his hands still holding on to my waist.

'What do you mean?' He asks.

'I just...since we lost our baby those few years back in college, It's like I've had this ache in my heart...this desire to be...a mother.' I say, nervously, looking away from him.

'I want to have a baby.' I whisper.

There's a pause between us, before Aaron turns my head towards his, so we're staring directly at each other.

He smiles at me.

'Okay. Let's have a baby.' He says, as I grin widely, unable to contain my excitement, so I jump up and down, and then hug him tightly, kissing his neck repeatedly, overjoyed.

_____