Part 11: Believe Me

Author's Note: Updating again, because I have around 15 parts pre-written!

Zoey narrates.

Aaron comes downstairs as I set up for a girls night in.

'Do you have to do this tonight?' He pleads, coming over to me.

'Yes! I feel like I haven't seen the girls in ages, and I want to catch up with them.' I say, smiling at him.

'Why can't it just be you and I? Why can't we have a Zoey and Aaron night in?' He asks, placing his chin on my shoulder from behind.

I turn around to face him.

'I promise, tomorrow night, we'll have a Zoey and Aaron night in, okay? Even though that's what we do every night.' I say, laughing.

'Fine.' He says, giving up.

'Although, I have to say I'm sorry about last night.' He says, looking down.

Last night, Aaron and I got in to a huge argument. I won't go in to the details, but I'm pretty sure if I hadn't backed down, it would have escalated.

'It's okay. I promise.' I reply, kissing him, quickly.

'You can stay home if you want.' I say, but he shakes his head.

'I'm going to go chill with the boys.' He says, as I nod.

'I should go now.' He says, leaning in, and kissing my cheek.

As he walks to the door to leave, he turns around again.

'Oh yeah, the wedding photos arrived. They're in my work bag.' He says.

'Thank you!' I say, excitedly.

_____

The girls and I are sitting around in the living room, that night, watching a movie and talking.

'So how is married life treating you, Zo?' Jazz asks, raising her eyebrows.

'It's...honestly great. I can't imagine my life any differently.' I say, smiling.

'You're glowing.' Sky says, which makes me laugh.

'What about you and Doug?' I ask Jazz.

'What's the plan?' I add.

'I'm not sure. We're in a really good place right now. I like our dynamic. I'm not sure if marriage would change that.' She says, and I nod.

'Don't get me wrong, it's tough. I feel like sometimes we barely have time for each other, but it's still early days, I guess.' I say.

'Have you gotten your wedding photos yet?' Jillian asks.

'Oh my god! Yes!' Ana says.

'Yeah, actually, Aaron picked them up. Wait, let me go and get them.' I say, going over to Aaron's bag.

I fumble through and find a small envelope.

'This can't be it?' I say to myself.

I open the envelope and fine a piece of paper.

'I'll be waiting for you out the back. Don't worry, your wife won't find out. Alexa.' It reads.

My heart drops.

_____

I'm sitting on the floor, in tears, as Ana rubs my back.

'Zoey, you don't know what it means. It literally could be nothing.' Nomi says, trying to reassure me.

'I just...' I have no words.

'I never thought Aaron would be unfaithful to me. I know in college we had our issues, but...' I cry.

'I need to go...' I say, as I get up and run upstairs, as the girls call after me, following.

'Where, Zoey? What do you mean?' Ana asks.

They follow me up to the bedroom, as I grab a suitcase and start frantically throwing in my clothes, wiping my tears.

'Zoey? What are you doing?!' Jillian asks, panicked.

'I need space.' I say, firmly.

'Well where are you going?' Sky asks.

'To my parents'.'

_____

I'm sitting in my old bedroom, at my parents' house, on the floor, with my knees hugged to my chest. I don't even know what to think.

Was everything a lie?

I take out the wedding photos from my bag.

Looking through them, all I can see is how happy we are. How happy we were. How happy we're meant to be...

The problem is that Aaron and I had been having problems for a while now.

I hear a sudden, loud knock on the bedroom door, so I go to open, and standing there before me, helplessly, is Aaron.

I immediately start to cry, when I see him, as he steps forward and tries to touch me, but I step back.

'Zoey...Ana told me what happened. I promise you, there is nothing going on. It's all a misunderstanding. I promise you, Zoey, I would never, ever cheat like that or do anything to hurt you.' He says, softly.

'You've got to believe me.' He says, and I sense the pain in his voice, but I respond angrily.

'How am I supposed to believe anything you say, Aaron?! You know what, this is expected. You've always been like this. You act like you care so much about me, but I'm not so sure you do. If you cared, you would have told me in the first place. I'm your wife. You're not supposed to keep secrets from me.' I shout, angrily.

'Zoey, you're not listening, you...' He starts, but I interrupt.

'Just stop. I don't want to hear your lies anymore. God, Aaron! You want me to trust you? How is it possible if you keep breaking my trust like that?' I shout, throwing my hands up, sarcastically.

'Zoey...'

'You know what? Just leave.' I say, crossing my arms.

'Zoey, what?' He asks, confused.

'Just leave!' I shout, before pushing him out, and closing the bedroom door, locking it, before falling to the ground, crying.

_____