Chapter 16: Side Piece

" I feel like we barely hang out anymore babe. I miss you." This was the first time Griffin and Dixie had hung out alone since the whole situation with Noah happened. Lying to him didn't feel right to Dixie. It didn't matter how much she loved Noah, lying just wasn't something she liked. And yet, she had been doing it for the past two months.

"I miss you too. I've just been super busy with redecorating the apartment, and work hasn't gotten any easier." His hand was placed on her thigh, rubbing it gently in an attempt to comfort her. It only brought her to think it was Noah's hand, but despite that, she kept it there.

"I get that, but you know you have me if anything is wrong." His face was plastered with an apologetic smile. He truly did care for her. That's the same reason it's so hard for Dixie to lie to him. It didn't matter that she no longer loved him like she used to. He loved her. If he didn't he wouldn't have worked on himself to be better for her.

"Yeah I know. I love you." And she did. And I know that sounds wrong. She loves 2 men. "Love you more." He did. Her love for Noah would never compare to her love for Griffin. She loves Griffin because of his attempt to fix things. But she loved Noah for his whole being. And she had since she was little.

"How's Noah? I don't think I've seen him since the party." The memory of his birthday came flashing through her mind. It had been a month since that night, and yet the memory from it is as vivid as ever. "He's good. And honestly I haven't seen him much either. He's been really busy with work." She wasn't lying either.

The last time they saw each other was two weeks ago. And the memory of it wasn't exactly one that she wanted to relive. They got into a fight about Griffin. Again. It was exhausting. The constant arguments about the same thing. Over and over again.

"I have a feeling he still doesn't like me." Dixie sighed. She was tired of talking to both of them about each other. "I mean, babe you can't really blame him. I was pissed at you too. He's been my best friend since we were babies. I have no one else like him. And, at first, you didn't want to understand that."

She was running through this complete circle. One that only involved herself, Noah, and Griffin. Soon, it would become too much to handle. The constant lying makes her want to give up in general. On both Noah and Griffin.

"Yeah I get that, at least now I do. But you also have to understand me. We were dating for 2 years and that whole time I felt like your side piece." I mean of course Dixie didn't do it I'm purpose, but what Griffin said was accurate. Noah was always there. And when he wasn't, Dixie was talking about him.

Now of course this wasn't on purpose. She didn't want to make her boyfriend of two years feel like a side piece. She truly did love him. Noah was just always her safe place. She knew that if anything were to go wrong, Noah would be there, holding his arms out for her. It's why she always wanted him around. In a way, she needed him.

"And I'm sorry about that. It's just Noah's the only person in my life who treats me like how I want to be treated. He's not a kiss ass like my family, but he's also not a jerk." Noah always called Dixie out when she does something wrong, but he's also the number one person she can call when she needs a shoulder to cry on.

"If it makes you feel any better. I know I have you now." She placed a quick kiss on his cheek. Any form of touching felt really weird for her, especially when she wishes it was Noah's hand pushing her hair behind her ear, and Noah's hand rubbing gently on her thigh.

"Hey, can you give me a second. I'm just gonna go to the bathroom really quick." That was a lie. The real reason she needed to get up was because she felt her phone buzzing, and when she saw it was Noah she immediately jumped up. "Yeah of course. I'm gonna order us some food."