41

041
_____________________

It was finally December 11th, the day you are set to be discharged from the hospital. After monitoring your body for a few days, it was deemed safe for you to leave - that is, with supervision of course. It is to no surprise Satoru took on that responsibility. With your concussion comes a few months of side-effects ranging from dizziness, headaches, insomnia, mood swings... to be completely honest, you didn't want anyone to have to deal with you like this. Alas Satoru was persistent with keeping you under his care and you really didn't have any other place to go.

Walking out of the hospital with your arm clutched around Satoru's, you didn't dare to look up. Though you could guess what he'd look like, you frankly didn't want to see it for yourself. He hadn't left your side at all for the remaining days you were admitted. You can't remember a moment you've seen him close his eyes for more than a second this whole time. He must be dead tired.

Nevertheless, you felt his gaze wander to you. Even in his exhaustion, you could still feel his innermost feelings of relief. It's not often the detective has been this busy as cases usually fly off his desk due to his intuitive prowess. But due to the nature of this case, it was quite a headache - both in the investigation and the stakes at hand. Though there was still work that needed to be done to put the case to a close, it is safe to conclude the hard part is over. All that's left is picking up the broken pieces.

"Are you taking me to GDF for interrogation?" You asked as you both walked straight ahead out of the hospital doors. It seemed Satoru had already arranged for your transportation as a vehicle was awaiting both of your arrivals.

"No," he responded bluntly, a little too fast. He seemed to be set off from something you said... maybe he didn't like your choice of words. "We're already conducting our own investigations. I don't want to rush you since there's no pressing need to do so."

You frowned. "Wouldn't the investigations be more efficient with my account? Satoru, I'll have to give my accounts sooner than later. The sooner it is, the more detail I'll be able to recall."

"Again, we don't need your account right now," Satoru tried to reason out yet again. "I'd rather you take time to rest instead of stressing yourself out too much. We'll be going back to my place in Jersey for the time being."

"And what about you?" You retorted back. "I rest while you're out there, sorting everything else on your own? I can't do that to you. Look at yourself... you're exhausted."

"I'm fine-"

"Are you really? You're not helping me feel less guilty with your inhumane work hours, Satoru." You let off a soft sigh as you squeezed his arm a bit tighter. "Let me make it easier for you. For my sake."

Satoru was conflicted. What could he say? He clearly feels the weight of his exhaustion, and there was no hiding it from your eyes. Nothing he could say or do would make you feel less guilty, and he hated that. He lightly fidgeted with the corner of his button up.

"Take me to GDF," you concluded, finally looking up at the white haired detective. "The least I can do is tell you everything that happened. I understand I will most likely be taken off the case due to these circumstances, but the least I can do is this. For you, for Yuji, for Nanami... please Satoru. Let me be useful."

"Fine." His tone was incredibly reluctant, but the word seemed to slip out of his lips nonetheless. "I'll take you to GDF. But as soon as I notice you're uncomfortable, I'll stop the questions and bring you home. Do you understand?"

You nodded. Though you weren't sure how far you'd get pretending not to be uncomfortable with the situation, you were willing to hold it out. Even if it breaks you, you'll do it for him. And so you both stepped into the car.