Chapter XIII

The days were filled with laughter. We were carefree. We felt like normal teenagers and we refused to think about what was ahead of us.

Even if we felt secure at that moment, we would be foolish to think that we will maintain that security.

But right at that moment, we didn’t want to think about it. We weren’t blind, we heard the worried conversations between the adults in the meetings.

But it was our right to put that concern aside. Even if it’s only for the last days of summer. We deserved it.

Most nights, I found comfort in Fred’s arms.

He held me until I fell asleep and he was still there when I opened my eyes again.

Nobody knew about it. Remus and Mrs. Weasley sure wouldn’t be happy to have their children share a bed.

But nothing happened either. Platonic touches, innocent hugs, laughing loudly, tickling, listening to music, being there for each other.

We both knew there was more, but neither of us said it. It was as if we had made this wordless pact.

We‘d take it slow.

-----
Harry’s hearing went well. He was acquitted and not expelled from school. Thanks to Dumbledore and a certain Mrs. Figg, a Squib who lived across the road in Privet Drive.

Ron and Hermione received their prefect badges and Molly was overjoyed.

To celebrate the events, she decided to throw a small party.

Everyone knew she was keeping herself busy to not think about Percy.

Percy was a difficult subject. He worked for the Minister and it turned out he didn’t believe Harry so he basically accused his whole family as liars too.

It was the day before the summer break ended, tomorrow we would have to go back to Hogwarts for a new school year.

Mrs. Weasley has made a huge roast. There was also mashed potatoes, beans, bacon, steamed vegetables and even shepherd’s pie.

-----
„I wonder who will be teaching DADA this year,“ I said, sitting down next to Hermione as usual.

It felt weird to be back after everything that happened last year. I had hoped that most of the students had forgotten what had happened. But I was wrong, I still got pity looks.

„See the woman next to Snape? She was at my hearing,“ Harry whispered.

Five heads – not very discreetly - turned to the staff table.

„Not-so-pretty-in-pink, you mean?“, the younger twin chuckled and high fived with his clone. With a smile, I shook my head at them.

„What is she doing here? Why should a Ministry worker sit at the staff table?“ Ron asked with his mouth full and earned a warning look from Hermione.

„Honestly, Ron?“, she rolled her eyes and leaned a little further across the table before whispering. „The Ministry interferes in school stuff… I think they sent her to keep an eye on Dumbledore and the school.“

Hermione was right. Professor Dolores Umbridge was our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. She tortured us with a terrible speech, McGonagall stared at her in disbelief, Snape looked like he was bursting into tears any second and I thought my ears would start to bleed if she wouldn’t stop.

The twins have already made it their business to give her hell.

-----
I was sitting on the floor in a secluded corridor with my arms clutching around my bent legs and my head hanging between my knees. I had no idea how much time had passed and I certainly missed the next classes, but I didn’t care.