This Explanation

Be prepared....:D
Also listen to song above which goes along with this chapter pretty well!
It's Let the Games Begin by Anarbor.

This Explanation

People always throw around the words, 'Let life surprise you'.

Well I would like to have a word with life and demand to be let off the list of unfortunate people because not all surprises are good. For example, your dog being run over by a truck is not a surprise you want to have, or being laid off, or having your car towed, or even having the guy you like see you wearing nothing but a t-shirt in another guy's kitchen.

Lucas's eyes leave my legs for the first time since I said his name, which I still don't know how long that has been. All I've been able to do is stare stunned at Lucas while the Earth continued to spin on its axis. He's wearing the same clothes he wore earlier today but in his hand is his baseball bag, complete with all of his practice gear, and his backpack is hanging off his shoulder.

"What are you doing here?" Lucas asks even though I can already see the answer playing behind his eyes. He figured it out as soon as he saw me.

I gulp and embarrassingly say, "You already know, please don't make me say it."

He bites his lip and understandingly nods his head, hurt covering his face so much that it breaks my heart all over again, which reminds me why I'm here in the first place. He kissed Lucy, he played me this entire time, again.

"You slept with Bash," he sneers with such hatred, for who I don't know.

"How dare you," I seethe, taking him by surprise. My hand grips the counter behind me with such a tight grip I'm afraid I might crack it. The granite, not my hand. "I saw you today behind the shed. You have no right to look at me like you are right now!"

His brows rise together in a daze. "You... you saw me," he asks softly.

"I saw you very clearly, along with your ex too. Or is she still your ex?"

"Sadie," he holds out his hand and takes a step closer to me. I hold up my hands, blocking him from getting any closer. My mind is already a mess, I don't need him messing it up anymore by getting any closer.

"It's not what you think," he pleads with a broken expression.

Instead of asking the question I so badly want to ask, 'then what was it?' I ask, "What are you doing in here?"

Seconds pass by as minutes, then hours, then days, until we're nothing by dust in a broken old house. Oh how badly I wish that was true.

"I live here."

Beat. Beat. Beat. Beat.

"Excuse me?" I ask, not believing my own ears.

"The guy you just handed yourself over to," he says with distaste, "is my older brother."

Beat. Skip. Beat. Skip.

"That's not possible," I whisper feeling my world crash all around me.

"Why?" He asks, dropping his gear onto the ground. "Did he say he was a lone child," he sneers, the obvious hatred being fueled towards Bash, not me.

I rethink our conversations, everything he told me that had to do with his family. He said it so many times but I never thought of it as important. His younger brother, the boy who was conceived by two parents who loved each other deeply two years after Bash was born and was truly only his half-brother.

How could I not see it? The age difference, the similarities, the time line, even the characteristics of their father. Okay so I get how I didn't connect anything else, but the way they look and their little habits? I should have noticed that and started to think about it long ago.

"No," I shake my head sadly, feeling stupid for not knowing, "he just didn't tell me who his brother was."

"Sounds like something he would do," he sneers and clenches his fists, preparing himself for a fight that he wants to happen; I can see it in his eyes.

I look up at him through my own lashes. "Bash didn't know either," I argue, defending probably the wrong person. I mean Bash doesn't have the best reputation with me, nor Lucas for that matter.

Lucas starts to humorlessly laugh. "Look Sadie I don't know how well you know him or if this was just a one time thing. But I can tell you that I know him better than anyone else in the world. He uses girls, he doesn't care about them, not a single one of them. He deceives them into letting them believe that he cares about them more than his own shît but guess what? He would rather marry a toilet than be committed to a single girl for the rest of his life. And I can assure you Sadie that he used you too. He knew who you were to me, he heard me and our Dad talking about you all the time and news flash but he and I don't get along. He'll do anything to piss me off, including sleeping with the girl I like just to humiliate her."

Humiliate.

Funny because that's exactly how I feel right now, humiliated. Maybe what Lucas said is true, he had known Bash longer than I have and has seen the insight of his world. So what I met Bash before his Dad met me, he still could have conceived this whole thing the second he heard my name coming from his father's lips.

Tears spring to my eyes and I jump over the broken glass and push past Lucas and run up the stairs into Bash's room.

Thankfully he's not in here so as quickly as I can I yank on my underwear and jeans and sprint back down the stairs. Waiting at the bottom for me is Lucas glaring daggers at Bash who still isn't wearing a shirt, thanks to me.

I take the time to notice the similar looks between the two boys. Brown hair, blue eyes, different shades but still blue, same noses and the same shaped jaws. How the heck didn't I notice it before?

"Sadie." Lucas spots me and his face softens.

I take the last few steps down the stairs and instead of grabbing Lucas's outstretched hand I turn my broken heart to Bash.

"You," I whisper, "did you..."

A menacing smirk creeps onto his lips and he shrugs his shoulders carelessly. "Sorry Blondie."

My bottom lip wobbles, my eyes sting with the awaiting of more tears, and before I can break a sob I sprint out of the house like my life depends on it.

I know I'm going to have to apologize to my pillow later tonight for all the tears that it's about to meet.