This Captor

I spend the next two days at home sick and slowly each day I start to get better. But with each day brings something stranger. One; no responses from Bash who I have texted every day in hopes of a reply and two; my new Mom.

When I came home on Monday, where as she would normally nurse me back to health, she gave me some medicine to take then left to go to the mall. On Tuesday she skipped her weekly salon date with the other Barbie doll Moms in town. And on Wednesday she made sandwiches for dinner.

On Wednesday Ella and Mary Jane visit bringing with them a stack full of movies for me to binge on even though I've decided I'm going to school tomorrow. They don't stay for long because they each have other things to do which I don't blame them. They care too much about their grades to get sick from me.

Thursday is the day that I'm finally up for school. I didn't miss that much of school which I'm glad about because even though I'm good at keeping up with my homework, I'm terrible at making it up.

In science I try to pay attention to Ms. Richet at the same time as copying Mary Jane's notes. Apparently she's not mad about Quinn anymore, but she still refuses to talk to her.

Ten minutes into class the door swings open and in comes Lucas looking like hell. His eyes are deflated with a certain sadness, his hair is disheveled and not styled like it normally is, and his clothes look like they've found a home on his bedroom floor. I watch in awe as the new Lucas who doesn't bother to look up or even acknowledge Ms. Richet trudges to his seat in the back of the class.

"What happened to him," I ask Mary Jane beside me.

She doesn't bother to turn away from the notes on the board as she mumbles, "I don't know. You're the one supposed to keep track of him, not me."

I huff and continue to copy down the notes. Minutes pass by with the two girls behind us snickering and giggling profusely. I try not to eavesdrop but it's hard to when they're being so loud and they're so close. Right before Ms. Richet orders them to stop talking I hear something that catches my attention.

"I can't believe Lucas would do that."

"I know right, poor Lucy."

"But yay us," one of them squeals.

I can't seem to focus for the rest of the lecture which is another half hour. I sneak peeks under my arm to Lucas behind me, trying to guess what happened. Do people know that he kissed me? Does everyone hate him? When was the last time he took a shower? Every time that I look back at him he always has his head down with his headphones in making him look all that more tragic. Did someone he love die?

Oh god that would be terrible!

Eventually after I think my seventh time looking at him, he yawns and makes eye contact with me from across the room. I haven't looked him in the eye for over two weeks now and I was seriously missing those blue eyes of his.

His eyes go wide and suddenly he doesn't look so miserable anymore. He opens his mouth as if he's going to say something but then probably remembers that we're in a class room with other people. I turn away embarrassed and don't look behind me again for the rest of the period.

Ms. Richet stops speaking thirty seconds before the bell rings which doesn't give me much time but I think I can gather some information in that amount of time.

I spin around quickly shocking the two gossipers behind me into silence.

"What were you guys talking about earlier?" I demand to know, probably sounding to eager.

Should I be eager? Why do I even need to know this? Things have changed since the last time I saw Lucas. Even though I care very much about what they were talking about I don't think I have a right to know.

One of the girls opens her mouth, ecstatic to tell me but I stop her before she can. "Never mind." I shoot up from my seat and push my way to the door. The bell rings the same time I open the door.

I weave in and out of the hallway traffic trying to distract myself from the desire to gossip. Finding no help in the everyday hallways I pull out my phone and decide to send a quick text to Bash.

'Please don't ignore me.'

I think back to what my sister said to me, about Bash having feelings for me. I've thought about it a lot over my sick leave and I've ended up right back at the start.

Bash might see me as a friend but nothing more. What I said had irritated him and probably hurt his man ego because I said I wanted someone else. But he wasn't mad at me, just insecure.

Besides my sister told me that there's a difference between love and admiration, well there's also a difference between love and lust.

But either way Bash should have texted me back by now. Or maybe he completely gave up on the idea of us being friends. Well if he won't put in the effort than I won't either.

'You know what? I don't care anymore whether we're friends or not. Go find a new one and have a nice life.'

'And btw, I helped you out when you needed me, it would be nice if you showed the same courtesy.'

My fingers angrily swipe over the keys and I'm so distracted by my sudden anger for him that I never see the hand shooting out in front of me. It grabs my by the waist and pulls me to the side into a barren hallway.

I squirm out of the persons hold while protesting to be let go.

"Sadie," a smooth familiar voice calls out. "Calm down."

I look up and around me to see Lucas is the one holding me captive. His eye brows are furrowed together in either nervousness or curiosity but after my eyes see him rolling his lip in and out of teeth, something that I've notice Bash do a lot too but when he's angry, I realize it's nerves. I swallow and stutter, "What are you doing?"

"I need to talk to you."

"W-why?"'

Lucas doesn't bother to answer me, instead he takes my hand and leads me down the hallway and through a set of double doors that lead outside.