This Kiss

"So...?" I ask awkwardly trying to fill in the empty silence.

We're secluded by peering eyes by the confines of the dugout that we're sitting in. I guess being the star player of the team grants you an anytime access to the field which is usually off limits during the school day.

Lucas takes a deep breath beside me and runs his fingers through his hair with frustration. He looks everywhere but in my direction.

"Sadie," he breathes out and that simple task of saying my name seems like it's a task.

"Yes?" I ask cautiously.

Fall is finally starting to settle in my hometown in New England. Soon it will be away with the crop tops and shorts and in with the wool sweaters and jeans. Well for the girls at me school. I normally stick to one fashion trend, jeans and simple shirt. The trees are starting to turn colors faintly and the temperature is starting to drop. Good thing I wore my oversized hoodie today, I indulge in its warmth as I snuggle closer to it.

"About last weekend," he rolls his bottom lip into his teeth, pulling slightly. "I didn't know what I was doing."

My heart shatters on the floor but something in me makes me want to put on a brave face and bite this feeling in the butt. I force a smile and gently lay a hand on his shoulder, he stiffens under me but doesn't turn my way. "It's okay Lucas, I understand. I'll forget last weekend ever happened and I won't tell a soul about it. You're secrets safe with me."

He slowly turns to me, his blue eyes pinning my hand down on his shoulder. Realizing my mistake I retract my hand and mumble out apologies. I stand up brushing the imaginary dirt off my jeans. "You should be with Lucy, she's perfect for you. But I hope we can still stay friends after this whole thing, I've actually grown to tolerate you," I tease with a forced smirk.

"I have to go now." I throw my thumb out behind me pointing to the school. "I'll see you later," I ask more then tell and before the tears can start to fall I turn around, ready to book it to my next class.

"Sadie, wait!" Lucas calls out before I can make it out of the dugout. He takes the few steps that's separating us. "I'm really confused." His eye brows are pulled in and his lips don't show their normal smile.

"About what?"

He points between us and says, "This."

I swallow my sudden nerves and ask what he means more clearly.

"I thought you liked me," he admits staring deeply into my eyes. My whole body freezes with shock and I'm too freaked out to say anything. "I mean you're always nervous when you're around me, you always help me with my homework, and honestly I've caught you staring a couple of times."

Humiliation drowns me and I feel the blush creeping up onto my cheeks but thankfully Lucas turns around before he can spot it.

He grips his hair and frustratingly says, "Dammit I'm sorry. That was completely wrong of me to just assume that. But I was so sure and..." He groans again, leaning his head against the chain link fence.

"You know what? I can't be any more of a jerk then I already am so I'm just going to come out and say it." A pause with nothing but his heavy breaths filling the tension between us. "I like you. I really, really like you. It didn't start off that way and I always thought you were kind of snooty but then I started talking to you more and damn, I was wrong. You're so nice and sweet Sadie and I really don't deserve you because I'm a selfish bastard but I think about you a lot. More than what is acceptable for a guy who's in a relationship. Well was." He turns to look at me finally and he must see something written on my face because he steps closer with relief flooding over his features. "I broke up with Lucy on Friday. It took me all damn week for me to admit to myself that I have feelings for you but then when I saw Lucy on Friday I couldn't do it anymore. Something changed and I knew that was you." He takes another step closer and I'm frozen to my spot, unable to back away from his close proximity. "I wanted your lips on mine again, I've been wanting that since I first kissed you. And Sadie," he sighs and pulls me to him. I yelp in surprise and something else. Desire? I've been wanting Lucas to pull me into his arms and kiss me since I was in the seventh grade and I think now it's finally happening. He leans in closer until his minty breathe is fanning my face. Did he chew gum before this on purpose? "If you don't stop me I'm going to kiss you," he whispers.

But I don't.

I don't stop him and he kisses me. Hard. And sweet. And oh so damn good.

The taste of his tongue is as amazing as I thought it would be. His hold is firm as he squeezes my hips. He even pushes me against the wall!

This is all so much better than I thought it would be!

If only this good feeling would last which it doesn't. In five minutes and thirty seven seconds that good, floating on cloud nine feeling disappears. Because of him.