t w e n t y s i x

n e m e s i s

"You've got a hold on me, don't even know your power. I stand a hundred feet, but I fall when I'm around you."

. . .

The next day, I wake up with a good feeling and get out of bed with a faint smile playing around my lips. I put my hair up in a bun and put on a bra before heading downstairs to eat something.

But as I near the kitchen, I come to a halt when I see Kate standing by the counter with a cup of coffee in her hand – dressed in my father's shirt. I clench my jaw.

"Good morning," I say, scaring her. She turns around quickly, and her eyes widen once she sees me.

"Oh, Nemesis," she says in a high voice but clears her throat. "Good morning," she says and smiles at me. I force a smile back. Not much later, Matt enters the kitchen and has the same reaction as me.

We glance at each other.

"So... I was thinking of preparing breakfast? You two must be hungry," she says and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

I turn around and eye her. I cringe inwardly as I imagine her fucking my dad.

Delete that imagine, now.

"Sure, why not," Matt says and takes a sip of his coffee. "Yeah," I agree quietly. She sends us both a big smile and starts moving around the kitchen. Somewhere, I feel bad for her. She's literally my brother's age and just wants us to like her.

And it's not like she's after dad's money, we're not super-rich. Out of courtesy, I ask her if she needs help, but she declines politely.

Matt and I both take a seat at the table and start chatting. I missed these mindless conversations.

I snort when he spills a bit of coffee on his shirt. "Dork," I say. He rolls his eyes at me. "Bitch," he replies. I stick my tongue out at him.

We hear someone coming down the stairs – dad, obviously. When he enters the kitchen, we all turn to look at him.

His eyes widen when he sees us. Did he seriously not expect us to be here?

He takes a girl home, knowing that we live here – obviously – and yet he dares to put a surprised look on his face.

This is so awkward because we all know what he has been doing this night. "Uh, good morning," he says and sends us a tight smile.

"Good morning," I reply and sip my milk. "Slept well?" he asks and clears his throat.

"Yes, and I know you did too, last night," Matt remarks.

I choke on my milk and cough for a minute. "You alright there, sis?" he asks. I nod. 

"Peachy," I say in a hoarse voice and chuckle. "Unbelievable," I mouth at Matt. He shrugs and sends me a crooked smirk.

"Well, uh... yeah," dad says and scratches the back of his head. I begin a conversation with Matt, not wanting to hear the cringe-worthy exchange between him and Kate.

After another couple of minutes, Kate places a pan with scrambled eggs in front of us, along with some bacon. "I'm making pancakes as well," she says and nervously plays with her hands in front of her.

I send her a smile. "Thank you, I appreciate it," I tell her. She sends me a big smile in return and goes back to finish baking the pancakes. I take a bit of the egg and bacon on my plate and start eating. Matt follows my actions.

And what follows is a pretty nice – although awkward – morning with Kate and dad talking and trying to make conversation with us.