t w e n t y t w o

n e m e s i s

"You know I love it when the music's loud, but c'mon strip that down for me, baby. Now there's a lot of people in the crowd but only you can dance with me."

. . .

It's already nine PM, and I've done all the studying that needed to be done. I'm lying on my bed, as usual, staring at my ceiling while thinking.

I don't like being the other woman. I don't like that he's married and that I'm his lover – his secret.

I want to be the one he can openly kiss with, show off like the one he loves, and not be worried that someone might see us. I want him to love me the way like I love him. I want to be the person that greets him whenever he comes home.

Not that stupid Ruby. I would support him, love him as a good partner would do. I would appreciate him for who he is.

It's not fair.

Every time I see Alessio with his wife, I feel this dark feeling settle in my chest.

Knowing that he wakes up to her face every morning, and goes to sleep with her makes my blood boil. The thought that he fucks her in their bed disgusts me. It hurts me.

And I wonder if Alessio would feel the same way if he sees me with someone else.

Would he feel the same jealousy I do whenever I see him with her?

The thought of Ruby makes my stomach churn, and a sour taste comes into my mouth.

I stand up from my bed and walk to my closet, opening it and scanning the clothes I own.

My eyes fall on something particular and a smile forms on my face. I take it and quickly walk to the bathroom to take a shower and shave.

After everything's done, I put on my clothes and apply some make-up on my face. I approve of my appearance and smile a little to myself.

I admit that the outfit I picked is a little risky, but I don't care. It's a skintight black dress that reaches mid-thigh. It's my body and I can do whatever I want with it. It makes me feel confident.

For a split moment, I hear the voices of those men, whistling after me and asking if I want to go for a drink.

Shaking those thoughts away, I get a grip and continue preparing myself.

I spritz some perfume on and curl my hair until it falls in perfect waves over my shoulders. I'm thankful that Matt decided to go to a friends' house today because if he were to be home he'd bombard me with all kinds of questions.

Dad is still at work, so nobody is going to bother me.

I call an Uber, and normally it should be here in ten minutes.

I put on my high heels and coat. I go outside and after a couple of minutes of waiting, I see that the Uber has arrived. I get in and tell the driver my destination.

While he starts to drive, I take out my phone from my purse and text someone I haven't texted in a long while.

NEMESIS: I'm on my way. Mind letting me in?

JASON: Of course not, you know where to find me

With a smile on my face, I put my phone back and look out of the window. The drive doesn't take long, and before I know it, I've arrived at the club.

I pay the driver and get out of the car. My heels click against the pavement as I walk towards the entrance of the club.

My eyes meet the familiar ones of Jason, and once he sees me he sends me a smile.