t h r e e

n e m e s i s

"I walked the streets all day, running with the thieves. Cause you left me in the hallway, give me some more. Just take the pain away."

. . .

"Matt," I sigh for the thousandth time and turn to my brother. He crosses his arms in front of him, like the stubborn brother he is.

"I just don't like you going out all by yourself," he shrugs. I clench my hands into fists by my side and stare at his blonde hair instead of his eyes.

"Matt..." I drag out and let out another sigh in exasperation. "Look, I agree with you going to that barbecue, but I will not let you go if you won't let me take you," he says as a matter of fact.

I rake a hand through my brown hair and roll my eyes. "The barbecue is at two in the fucking afternoon! No one will try and attempt to harass me at two in the afternoon!"

He shakes his head. "Disgusting people like that don't have a schedule. Plus, you don't know at what time you'll be leaving. It could turn out late," he argues back.

"Oh my god, Matthew! I'll go with the car, for the love of god!"

"Nemesis! Matthew!" my dad's voice calls out. We look at the doorway of the kitchen and point to one another.

"He started the fight!" I exclaim. "I'm just trying to protect her!" he fires back. Not wanting to hear anything about it, I stomp out of the kitchen and grab my camera and car keys.

"Where are you going?" dad yells after me. "To take a walk in the park! Or does Matthew have to walk six feet behind me just to make sure I don't get attacked?" I yell back angrily and slam the door closed behind me.

I get into my car and start driving towards the park, where I go to when everything becomes a little too much, and where I have spent most of the past week.

Soon, I park my car and get out with my camera in my hands.

The smell of the trees and nature surrounds me once I'm walking in the park, taking pictures of all the animals I manage to spot and some close-ups of the trees and plants. I watch all the people around me.

All the kids playing around, some teenagers walking around talking with each other, or elders that are eating ice cream with their grandchildren.

I take some pictures of the sky, where the birds are flying around. I know it's illegal, but I manage to take some pictures of the people around me. I'm never going to publish them, but some moments are just too beautiful to let it be a memory.

I'm walking over a bridge when I suddenly spot a familiar brunette with a golden retriever walking on the path of the park. I haven't noticed the dog the two times I've visited his house. Maybe he was in the garden? I don't know.

I halt in my tracks and observe him for a bit.

He's throwing the ball away for his dog to catch and laughs.

Without thinking, I lift my camera and zoom in on his sculptured face. I snap a picture of him, looking amused as he watches his dog.

I look down at the picture I took with a closed-lipped smile, and am satisfied with the result.

With one last glance thrown his way, I turn around and walk out of the park. When I get back home I receive a glare from my brother, which I return. "I'm still driving you!" he yells after me as I'm walking up the stairs.

"Fuck you!" I shout and enter my bedroom. I open my closet and pick the clothes out I'll be wearing on Sunday, which is tomorrow. I want to look decent, but not too decent. I pick a white top with some grey shorts. I take a deep breath and lay them on my chair.