Mom

What If..? Reaper's Mom came back?

   Reaper woke up to a new day. It seemed normal. And then he heard a clatter. 

   Reaper was out of bed in a second. He jumped up. How had he slept through someone coming in. He pulled on his cloak and floated carefully down the stairs. He had to be quiet. 

   The clatter sounded like it was in the kitchen. He headed over carefully picking up a cane. And he froze. 

   There was a woman there with pale skin and long black hair. She had a little boy sitting next to her on the counter as she worked. 

   Reaper dropped the cane he was holding and tensed up. The cane clattered to the ground. 

   The woman turned and gave a tight sad smile. "There you are bluejay.."

   A low cry ripped from Reapers throat. "You- You're not-"

   "Reaper!" The boy slid off the counter and ran over grabbing onto the older boy. Gosh Grim was so big now. 

   It felt like another punch to Reaper's ribs. "Grim? Mom?" His voice was laced with disbelief. 

   A soft hand rubbed Reaper's head. "It's us Bluejay." 

   Reaper sobbed again. "But you- you were-" He buried his face in his mothers chest. "I started to think you weren't coming back. It's been so long-" He hiccuped. 

   "I know Reaper. I'm sorry for those three years... I had to find some way to support us. I only brought Grim because he was so young. You did so well honey."

   Reaper sniffled holding onto both of them. This had to be a dream. He had a lot of fever dreams that were like this. 

   "Darling you have a fever..." His mom said pulling back and frowning lightly. She cradled his face gently. "Are you sick this often...?"

   Reaper flinched. "Please don't leave again- I'll get better! I promise!"

   His mother gave a sad look. "I'm not leaving Bluejay. I'm never leaving you again." She pulled her oldest back into a warm hold. 

   The boy pressed farther into the touch. He had missed it so much...

   "Reaper! Lookie lookie! We brought you a present!" Grim smiled holding up a box. 

   Reaper pulled back and glanced up at his mom. 

   "Go ahead Reaper. I'll finish lunch and get you some medicine while you open it." She smiled pulling back. 

   Reaper tried to ignore the way his bones prickled when he lost the touch... "Okay." He took the box and went to sit on the couch. 

   Grim trotted after him happily. 

   Reaper opened the box and blinked. The first thing he pulled out was a pair of glasses. "What..?"

   "Mommy said you needed them. She said you got your eyes checked before I was born but then bad stuff happened and you couldn't get a pair."

   The boys mother walked in a moment later. Lunch must be ready. "If they aren't the right prescription we can get them adjusted later." 

   Reaper unfolded the bows and pushed the glasses on. His vision cleared up. "They're perfect." He went to see what else was in the package. He ended up pulling out a couple sets of clothes as well as some new shoes and a new stuffed toy. Tears were spilling out his eyes. He slid the blue sweater over his head. It was a little big... "Thank you so much..."

   His mom kissed his head lightly. "Of course Bluejay. I love you."

   Reaper nuzzled into his mom again and sniffled. "I love you to..."