33

Warning muna tayo: R-18, ooops! Hindi pa ito ang nasa isip niyo. SPG- strong language and violence. Patnubay at gabay ng magulang ang kailangan.

It's been almost a freakin' month already. Kyla is still dealing and coping up with her new heart.

When the operation's done, she was transffered to Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit (CTICU) and stayed there for almost 3 days. We were not able to talk to her and see her face to face because only the doctors and nurses were allowed to go near her, they have an extra care policy, not only doubled or trippled but they also give extra care. Us, the patient's family was just watching outside through the glass walls and windows whenever the specialists were talking to Kyla with some questions that will be answered with a yes or no (nod/shaking of head.)

Kyla still can't talk and breathe by her own so that explain the Endotracheal Tube that was attached in her after the surgery. There's also a drainage tubes, called "chest tubes", to drain fluid which accumulates around Kyla's heart and lungs during surgery. The drainage from these tubes was bloody at first but the Doctors said after the surgery that the tubes will be removed when the drainage is clear and decreases in amount.

I really thought that after having a new heart through transplant, you'll be able to live a normal life. I didn't expected that her situation will be like this.

Kyla's also taking anti- rejection through IV Lines which fluids and medications are administered in her neck. The anti-rejection medicine based on what the Doctors told us, was also called Immunosuppressant drugs, it will be admimistered in her body through the said IV line not until she is able to take fluids and eat.

Napapangiwi na lang kami sa tuwing naglalaro sa imahe namin ang IV line sa leeg ng kapatid ko at ang drainage nitong naka-konekta sa baga at puso. Idagdag pa ang mga apparatus na nakakonekta din sa katawan niya para ma-monitor maski ang maliit na pagtaas at pagbaba ng blood pressure, at pagbabago sa paghinga at tibok ng puso niya. Sa murang katawan ni Kyla, masasabi kong sobrang tatag niya dahil nakakayanan niya iyon.

Can you imagine yourself being in her position? At your very young age for example, the Doctors will open your body, specifically your rib cage which was the protector or shield of your heart and detach the heart itself from your own body and attach someone's heart to it as a replacement. Can you imagine? Because I can't, and everytime the pictures of imagination came in my mind all that I can do is to close my eyes hard, shake my head and do lung exercise to calm myself.

After almost 3 days in the CTICU, Kyla finally transffered to her new room in Cardiac Floor. She's still taking anti-rejection or Immunosuppressant because her body is rejecting her new heart. The medication is possibly a life time.

Kyla is a very strong child. But what makes me more proud of her was when she first opened her eyes wearing a brand new heart without the Endotracheal/breathing tube, her first words was 'K-Kuya I want to go to h-him, I want to t-thank him for giving me his h-heart, I w-want to t-talk to him and p-promise him something, can you g-go with me?'

Kahit tila lango pa sa antok, pagod at sakit ay nagawang magsalita ng kapatid ko gamit ang paos na boses. Napakagat ako ng mariin sa labi at nag-iwas ng tingin.

"We'll do that, hmm? Kaya magpalakas ka para magawa mo na lahat ng gusto mong gawin. You want to go to EK, right? You said you wanna play there, run, try different rides and get tired?"

Tumango ang kapatid ko bago muling ipinikit ang mata para matulog.

She' s still on a pain without the help of medication but still very cooperative in every sessions of changing position or breathing exercise.