Chapter 20 : My Own Worst Enemy.

Chapter 20 : My own worst enemy.

-
Long overdue I know, I know. But it's finally here, so enjoy
-

We stayed like that for hours, Carter and me. Lying on the ground, staring at Kalel's dead body. Neither of us speaking, all I could hear was my own ragged breathing.

     Everything seemed to blur together. Earth was supposed to be a fresh start, I hadn't been down here a month and already another person was dead at my hands.

He deserved it, sure, but it exhausted me. It was always the same thing over and over again with me, kill or be killed.

At some point or another, someone found us. I couldn't tell you who it was, or what they really did. Only that there were a few screams, I'm pretty sure I was smiling sadistically by my tree, completely out of focus. Everything then just rolled together, I think I heard Clarke's voice asking me what happened.

     I don't know why I was still out of it, perhaps it was an overload of adrenaline. Perhaps I finally lost that last screw that was holding my sanity together.

I remember someone touching my arm weirdly, and being in pain. I think I remember being placed on my bed in my tent. And I remember falling asleep.

~

"Rae? Rae can you hear me?"

It sounded like a distant echo, yet I knew that it was Clarke.

I tried to let out a string of coherent words, but I think it came out as a low muffle.

"Take your time." Clarke said softly.

I became aware of her hands on my shoulders and with a creepy jolt I opened my eyes.

"Hey hey, calm down. You're okay." Clarke said, pushing me back down gently.

"What the hell happened?" I groaned, reaching a hand up to gingerly touch my throbbing right arm.

"You don't remember?" Clarke asked, an eyebrow raised incredulously.

I stared at her blankly for a minute before the memories flooded back in.

Carter and I cornered by Kalel, him attacking us, stabbing him... I looked up at Clarke trying to analyse her feelings towards this predicament, but her face held no emotion.

"I killed Kalel." I said with a sigh, looking around at my surroundings.

I was inside my tent, a few objects and knick knacks decorated the once empty white tent, I saw droplets of blood staining the tent's walls and frowned.

When did they get there?

"People are mad Rae." Clarke said, shaking her head in disapproval.

"He provoked me." I said stoically, meeting her gaze head on.

"I'm not saying he didn't." She replied, "I spoke to Carter, she told me what happened. But people in camp aren't supporting that argument, not after what you did on the Ark."

I let out a bitter laugh at her words. "People are still holding that against me?"

"Rae." Clarke's tone was scolding, almost motherly. "You killed Kalel's father up there, people think you just wanted to finish the job or something."

"It's just murder." I mumbled childishly, trying to lift myself up. "Anyone out there sticking up for me?"

She gave a small nod. "Carter, Jasper, Monty, Octavia, Bellamy, Finn, and a couple of others who you probably wouldn't recognize."