Chapter 11 : Bittersweet

I was actually walking without stumbling.

Sure, I was limping slightly and I probably looked like I needed the toilet, but I was walking.

I was stood at the bottom of the ladder in the drop ship, listening to Jasper's moans. People were beginning to complain more, saying it was better to just kill him.

Needless to say, I told them that if they didn't shut up I'd be the one killing them. Asshats.

I was trying to figure out if me going up the ladder was a good idea, I wasn't sure if I needed but I wanted to talk to Jasper. Even if it was a one sided conversation.

"Why are you staring at that thing like it's the solution to all our problems?"

I sighed and turned to look at Murphy. "Maybe it is, we could seperate it into iron sticks and hit the Grounders with them. Problem solved!" I threw my good hand up in the air, in an over the top manner.

"Still little Miss Sarcastic, aren't you?" He said, rolling his eyes.

"Well everything else is taken you see." I put on my best false smile and continued. "Clarke is little Miss Princess, Octavia is little Miss Seductive, Carter is little Miss Talented, and sarcasm is something I tend to excel in, so there you have it."

"Ain't that the truth." I looked up to see Carter coming down the ladder, "going up? I think Monty wanted to speak to you."

I gave a slight nod and moved past her, took a deep breath and started to climb.

It made my legs ache but I finally made it to the top, taking note of the 4 people in the room. Clarke, Finn, Monty and Jasper.

"Rae?" Clarke asked, a puzzled expression on her face.

"Yep that's me." I breathed, sitting on the floor for a second, "how's Jasper doing?"

"He's... He's still alive."

Well that was reassuring.

"Yo Monty, you wanted to see me?" I asked, getting up and moving towards him.

"Yeah. I found this, I think it's yours." He replied, throwing something small at me.

I caught it in my fist and and opened it, a small piece of pointed black metal, "where did you find this? I didn't even realise I'd lost it!"

When I was sixteen and was going through my rebellious stage (not your usual one, it ended with me killing three people) I pierced my own cartilage and managed to steal a stud. I rocked it.

"It was near where you'd been sleeping in here." He replied with a smile.

"Thanks Monty." I said, putting it in my pocket.

I turned around and went to sit next to Jasper who was now letting out constant moans, Clarke was standing over him with a thoughtful expression.

"What is it?" I asked, trying not to think the worst.

"They cauterized the wound." She said, kneeling down on the other side of Jasper, "saved his life."

"Saved his life so they could string him up as live bait." Finn added in disgust, crossing his arms over his chest.  "Garden of Eden this ain't."

"This is infected. It could be septic." She said grimly, before turning her head to look at Monty. "Any progress on using the wristbands to contact the Ark?"

Monty didn't answer, but his eyes were firmly locked on Jasper.

"Monty?" Clarke asked again.

Monty finally shifted his gaze to Clarke, "that would be a firm no."