Chapter 1 : Dropship & Down

Chapter 1 :  Dropship & Down

I fiddled with the chain around my neck, and waited for the guards to show up.

It was nearly my 18th birthday and up here in the Skybox that only meant one thing : It was nearly time to be floated. Rumour had it, that they sometimes floated you before or after your birthday depending on your crimes.

So to be honest, I had been expecting the guards for a few days now.

I wasn't scared.

I'd had had a year and a half to come to terms with it, I suppose it was my own fault for getting caught anyway. Although I'm not sure there is a way to subtly murder three people, I mean come on, I might be smart, but I'm no space ninja.

Just as I sat down, the door to my cell was pushed open and two guards walked in, "Prisoner 92, stand up and face the wall."

"The word 'please' would have been nicer." I muttered, following their orders, "I mean I am about to die, it's the least you could do."

One of the guards let out a low laugh, "change of plan 92." He said, snapping something onto my wrist and making me flinch slightly.

"Come again?" I asked, as they dragged me out of what had been my home for 523 days.

My eyes widened as I took in the scene before me, a bunch of other teenagers were also being pulled out of their jail cells. "You're going to Earth."

"I'm... What now?" I said, struggling slightly against the guards, "yo, get off me."

Something pricked my neck and my vision blurred.

"You assholes," I mumbled, before the world went black.

~

"Hey girl? Girl?" A voice said from somewhere near me, "Hey, wake up!"

"Shut the fuck up dammit." I groaned, opening my eyes to see a guy hovering over me.

"Hi." He said brightly, "I'm Jasper."

"And I'm dying of a killer headache, so I'd appreciate it if you could lower your cheeriness level, kay?" I said, sitting up straighter and taking note of the seat belt strapping me in.

The guy next to me frowned slightly before nodding.

I sighed, "I'm Rae."

He grinned, and looked at the guy on his right, "this is Monty."

"Pleasure." I said, nodding at the Asian kid next to Jasper, "so what's going on?" I asked.

We seemed to be in a sort of ship, there were teenagers everywhere, probably all criminals, like myself.

Jasper opened his mouth to reply but was cut of by an image of the Chancellor appearing on a little screen.

"Prisoners of the Ark, hear me now. You have been given a second chance, and it as you Chancellor that you see this as not just a chance for you but for all of us, indeed mankind itself.

We have no idea what is waiting for you down there, if the odds of survival were higher we would have sent others. Frankly, we're only sending you because you're crimes have made you... Expendable."

I let out an un-ladylike snort as someone on the other side of the ship said "Your dad's a dick Wells!"

I raised an eyebrow at that, Jaha sent his son down? Wow that's low.

I turned back to Jasper, "Earth. We're going to Earth!"

He laughed nervously, "are we sure that's a good thing?"