Chapter 18 : Hangman

After I'd summoned up the courage to pick up the two gross fingers belonging to Wells, I'd told Jasper and Octavia that we should go straight to Clarke. I was countered by a loose argument from Octavia that we should tell Bellamy because he would know what to do, and he was in charge.

So we gave Jasper the deciding vote.

I think you can guess who he went with.

Here's a hint, it wasn't me.

So here we now were, in Bellamy's tent. He was frantically pacing, and Jasper was pale as a ghost. We were waiting for Clarke to arrive, as per Bellamy's orders.

I had sat down about three minutes ago because my legs got tired. Ever since my accident, I'd a hard time standing still for long periods of time.

You could feel the tension in the room, it was thick in the air. If I tried to cut it with knife, the knife would break.

"Hey I got here as soon as I heard." Clarke said, pushing her way into the tent looking at us in confusion. "What was so important?"

I looked up at Bellamy with a frown, I sure as hell wasn't breaking the news that we'd found her dead friend's fingers lying in the dirt.

Bellamy gestured to the small table situated in the center of the spacious tent. Clarke moved forward, her eyes widening and her face losing all color as she took in the ghastly sight.

She then took into account the small knife, and picked it up, her eyebrows furrowing together.

"This was made out of metal from the drop ship." She said slowly.

"What do you mean?" Jasper asked, his face echoing his confused question.

"Who else knows about this?" Bellamy questioned, his eyes moving from Octavia and Jasper to me.

"No one." Octavia answered, moving away from the table, "we brought it straight here."

"Clarke?" Jasper asked quietly, trying to get an answer to his previous question.

"Isn't it obvious?" She said, folding her arms over her chest. "It means the grounders didn't kill Wells."

"It was one of us." I finished for her, shaking my head in disgust.

"So there's a murderer in the camp?" Jasper asked, his eyes wide.

"There is more than one murderer in the camp." Bellamy said, his eyes darting to me. "This isn't news, you need to keep it quiet."

"And let Wells' killer roam around? Free to do it again?" Clarke said defensively, shaking her head in disagreement.

"Like I said, we have killers in the camp.  All it would take is a few wrong words from Wells' mouth and they could have snapped." Bellamy said calmly, trying to help Clarke see sense.

"Wells wasn't exactly about to win the award for most liked guy in camp, was he?" I said, standing up.

Clarke scowled at me and headed for the exit, her intentions were clear, tell the camp. Bellamy was blocking her way within seconds.

"Be smart about this. Look at what we've achieved! The wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the grounders killed Wells is good for us." He said, taking a defensive stance.

"Oh good for you, you mean?" Clarke replied angrily, "what? Keep people afraid so they can work for you? Is that it?"

"Yeah that's it, and that's good for all of us." Bellamy countered, "fear of the grounders is building the wall. Besides, what are you going to do? Go out there and ask the killer to step forwards? You don't even know whose knife that is."