Chapter 17 : The Cornellian Dilemma.

The camp had never been in as much danger as it was right now. Danger of being pranked.

Now that Jasper was on the mend, and could talk. Him, Monty and I spent hours coming up with ingenious plans to annoy our camp mates.

We had to be careful who we annoyed though, because let me tell you there are some right nutcases down here and I'm not talking about myself.

We often got yelled at several times a day, because everyone was helping build up camp. Whether it be by hunting, fixing or helping to build a giant wall around camp. We, however, were doing nothing. Well, Monty sometimes disappeared for an hour or two, to try and fix the communication systems.

I frankly no longer saw the point, there was no way we were reaching the Ark. Not that I really wanted to, but hey, other people had families up there.

"Jasper?" I said, sitting up and opening my eyes.

We were lying side by side in the drop ship, while Octavia and Monty talked nearby.

"Yeah?" He replied, opening one of his own eyes.

This boy. I swear I felt like I'd gained a twin.

"Don't you wanna go out? It's really pretty outside camp, Octavia found a field of butterflies. It is something to see." I said, smiling at the thought.

Octavia had dragged me there a few days ago, and I had been creeped out for a total of three seconds before giggling in wonder.

"A butterfly field?" Jasper whistled, raising his eyebrows.

"A butterfly field." I repeated, "wanna go?"

Jasper looked up at me hesitantly then gave a nod, "sure. Why not?" He grinned at me.

"Are you sure? I don't wanna pressure you or anything." I said, pulling myself up properly.

"As if you could make me do anything I didn't want to." He replied, sitting up.

"Hey O, Mon. You guys wanna come with us for Jasper's first steps outside of camp?" I asked the pair who were sat nearby.

"Yeah of course." Octavia replied enthusiastically.

I looked at Monty who shook his head without sparing me a second glance, "nah. I think I'm close to solving our problem, you guys go ahead."

With a little help, Octavia and I managed to get Jasper down the ladder and outside.

"This is gonna be awesome." I said excitedly.

I hadn't really been out of camp much lately either, and well, I really wanted to because aside from the doom, it was quite pretty.

"I think you're happier about going out than Jasper is." Octavia joked, causing me to roll my eyes despite the fact that it was probably the truth.

The camp was in full movement, people carrying things, more tents going up, it looked like hard work. I hoped I'd never have to find out.

Before we headed out, something caught my eye.

A guy had stopped working (carrying a tree trunk for the wall), and looked completely dehydrated. That guy needed a break.

"Hey you two go ahead, I'll catch up." I said to Jasper and Octavia, who nodded and kept walking.

I headed over to relieve that guy of his duties, but before I could, Murphy stepped in.

"Hey! You think the grounders are just gonna sit around and wait for us to finish the wall?" He paused before continuing, "maybe we should let the little girl do the lifting for you?"